Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just sold my obs with 245k on it and wanted to get a superduty 6spd. found some i like but far away and expensive.. found one but is a early 99 with 238k but looks great. and has stage 1's. whats everybodys opinion on gettin another truck with close to the same miles? i dont want a money pit (again)

any input will be great.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Look it over real well. A buddy of mine picked one up with 300+k miles and it has been running strong for the last 6 months...

·
Registered
900 Posts
The miles with that truck wouldnt bother me but the stage one injectors may because you never know what kind of retard was driving it before alot of people only care about one thing(smoke) and without being properly equipt you can bet they probably ran the hell out of it and ran the EGT's pretty high unless you know the person your getting it from and the previous tuner and such id be weary

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would walk away from that unless it was dirt cheap. I agree with the idea that it was probably driven hard. I think the prices have come down on these trucks where you can get some good deals on a stock truck with lower miles.

·
Powerstrokin'
99 Posts
I have a few friends that bought trucks already built and every one said they woulden't do it again. everybody beats on them when they work them up. So your buyin an old girl that has had her sidewalls all beat up. hahaha

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would look elsewhere also unless it is super cheap, I bought my E99 with 219k on it owner had all service records and virgin bone stock for 5900.00.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
man these deals arent around here... but the truck looks like it has nowhaere near the miles on it. and hes the president of OCR. (ohiocoalrollers) but i cant find any 6spd psd with decent miles lower than 14k

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Mine had 250k when I bought it and has 278k now.I have had the normal high milage stuff go-hpop lines,hpop weak,injectors bad,ipr,tranny,turbo,oil pan just before I bought it,ujoints,rear axle cover rusted through and leaked,power locks weak and had to mod them,glow plugs,relay.lot of stuff but normal for milage I would say.And I'm not exactly easy on stuff.If its got a weak spot I'll find it.tranny and turbo could have been avoided with better driving but would have went eventually with the milage.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
on the same note I should add that my buddy bought a 2000 with 70,000 on it last year and he has had to do- rear axle seal,tranny soon,turbo,glow plugs,realy,has metal chunks come out during oil changes,power door locks.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I bought my first one with 255,000 bone stock. Thern I got addicted thanks to this site. Many mods Ran it to 320,000 with no issues other than trans. I would just look it over good and let the condition be the judge more than the mileage.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Only thing you can do is look it over really well.

Looking at millage isn't really a good way to determine if the truck is worth buying or not.

A low miles truck could be in worse shape then a high millage truck if it wasn't serviced and taken care of.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright guys.. thanks for all the input. ill let you know what happens!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have 2000, acutally late 99. it had just over 223,000 miles on it. in the first month had to put a new clutch, tranny. i got it pretty cheap but i have put the money that i saved back into it. just remember its a older truck with a bit of miles on it so parts are gonna start going.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
i have 2000, acutally late 99. it had just over 223,000 miles on it. in the first month had to put a new clutch, tranny. i got it pretty cheap but i have put the money that i saved back into it. just remember its a older truck with a bit of miles on it so parts are gonna start going.
Yep thats how its been for me.Bought it for $4000 and put what I saved into it but its better parts then stock so it makes me happy.I'm still ahead.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just bought a cclb lariat 4x4 early 99 with 189k on it for 5500, had to look long and hard for one up here because most are autos and came from the north slope oil fields and are beat, this one is a little rought but rebuilt 6 speed, rearend, new clutch and turbo so i think i got a good deal we will have to wait and see....

good luck and be patient and watch craigs list frequently, all the really good deals never last long....

·
They call me Nobody
258 Posts
Do they have a site you can get some background from? I have 307k and will drive mine anywhere you want to go. No worries at all.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can try the oasis forum on here

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
Depends on how much he wants I picked up my e99 f350 lariat with 4in lift new 35s, brand new trans and engine with 5 k on both of em and 276 on actual truck for $5900

And I believe fomoco had a hand in stoping the oasis forum, but I'm not %100 on thAt

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
where the Fuk are you guys finding these deals??? all i find is junk or its real nice wich means a lot of money...

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
you might think I am crazy, but try copart.com these are company lease turn in's, repo's, smash's & crashes. try this if you are looking for something to do. I quit buying used truck a long time ago for the simple fact that you NEVER know what you are getting into with used. just my .02

there are alot of 6.4 on there too. I have had 7 powerstrokes and this is the best one yet. 09 F-350.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts