Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are yall doin for leaking manifolds? both mine are leaking at the back cylinders are yall resufacing the manifolds and or head surfaces ? the bolts are still in there.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I would just pull the manifold and have it trued up. There are also gaskets available but I would get is true first.

Tom

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Coat them down with (bolts) some anti seize spray WD 40 or PB Blaster...I would do it over a number of days prior to tackling the job.

Mine on the rear of block actually popped the bolt heads off the manifold (driver's side) and the remainder of bolts had seized in the manifold. I was able to cut the manifold bolts off with a sawzall leaving as much stud as possible. Went to Sears and bought some stud/bolt extractors not sure what they are called.....look like a socket with spiral teeth inside to grip rounded boltheads or studs...worked awesome....on re-install use a quality anti seize paste....

Good idea Tom to resurface manifolds....I used the gaskets and has worked fine.

jrc

·
Work in progress
517 Posts
Just got done doing mine. Like JCart said SOAK them with PB blaster for at least a couple of days. all mine came right out except for 1. the third one from the back on both sides is a PITA. For some reason the hole where the bolt goes thew the manifold is smaller then the rest and likes to seize up. If it isnt turning heat up the manifold and it will come out. I planed the manifolds and used IH gaskets

Exhaust Bolts M8X30 Hex FL HD
IH 16182513C1

Manifold to up pipe bolts
Ford W300013
IH 1821640C1

Exhaust manifold gaskets
Ford F4TZ-9448-A
IH 1814219C1

For IH just say is for a T444E

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Also you can get to the vast majority of them the impact with an impact swivel or a swivel socket.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
^That is how I got all of mine out except for the driver rear. Got that one out with a left handed bit.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I was at the stealership today and they had no idea about the gaskets, I will see if one of the local machine shops can work on them

Thanks!!
Let me know if you need a set of manifolds I have a set. Fel pro has the gaskets iirc.

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may take you up on that set Allen then I can get them surfaced, blasted, and coated. I may still put the gaskets just to make sure

I have been soaking them every once and a while getting ready for this

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I may take you up on that set Allen then I can get them surfaced, blasted, and coated. I may still put the gaskets just to make sure

I have been soaking them every once and a while getting ready for this
You bet !!

·
Registered
128 Posts
On my 96 1 ton i had the drivers manifold warped so bad the back bolt head broke off. A friend of mine at work is a machinist and he planed in down for me, and it worked perfect w/o a gasket. I would definitely remove the fender well. I removed mine and it helped alot. Hope it all goes well. Roger

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
On my 96 1 ton i had the drivers manifold warped so bad the back bolt head broke off. A friend of mine at work is a machinist and he planed in down for me, and it worked perfect w/o a gasket. I would definitely remove the fender well. I removed mine and it helped alot. Hope it all goes well. Roger
My original motor had some issues with bolt heads poppen off too.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Third bolt hole from the end is smaller on the manifold as I think this is the first one you use to center it on re-install....seems I read that somewhere iirc

jrc

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
^ That is correct. The smaller hole in the manifold is to aid in aligning the manifold back up to the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got me too.....
Drivers side rear bolt head is snapped off....exhaust leak like u wouldn't believe...looks like a royal pain....messed with it for a few minutes with some vice grips trying to get snapped bolt out but gave up after a few minutes. What's it cost to get them trued?

Guess im gonna try to pull the whole manifold get it trued, new gasket, new bolts with anti seize and do it right once...what fun!

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Yeah, my passengers side rear bolt is snapped off. it was that way when i bough the truck 3 years ago but it hasn't starteed leaking till a few months ago. does anybody know if theres a difference in the exhaust manifold between an 97 obs and a sd? i wanna fix the leak but change over the manifolds while i'm at it if i need to. i'm going with sd bellowed up pipes and a 38r.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If you already have the bellowed uppipes and 38r then yes now would be the time to change it all over.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
If you already have the bellowed uppipes and 38r then yes now would be the time to change it all over.
so the sd pipes wont connect to the obs manifolds? and do i need both drivers and passengers side manifolds off a sd? i've heard i only need the drivers side and i've also been told the 97's work with the pipes on a sd setup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When i had my manifold machined it didn`t cost me anything. One of my best friend works at the machine shop where i work, so he did it for me real quick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts