Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 F350 dually... My front tires (22.5" wheels with 40" tires) rub the leaf springs during sharp turns, so I want to remove the leaf springs in the front and replace them with coil springs... Is it possible to convert leaf springs to coil springs? and if so is it possible to modify only the front suspension or would I have to convert the front and back? Also, how much would I be looking at to get the conversion done? I'm located in Houston, and if anyone can point out someone who can perform the conversion, that would be great...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Benn looking into the same thing not only for more tire clearance but the greatly increased perf and ride quality. Only dif is mine will be on a Excursion. Looked at other option and this ends up being the one that best fits for me but its not cheap.

For a coil over conversion:

Full Traction Suspension is the company you want to use. The consensus is they make the best quality coil over conversion for these SD. Add in a set of King, Fox, Icon, etc.. coil overs and you are GTG. It is made to be a self install kit. No welding. http://www.full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=6&MAKEID=4&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=394&NOTES=

You will get a greatly improved ride from all accounts.

No you will not have to convert the rear or do anything back there if the lift is the same height as current. If dif you will have to adjust for height.

Any quality shop shoudl be bale to install it. Unless you are not mechanical its something you could do in a weekend in your driveway.

You need to make sure you call and speak to their techs. Make sure you will meet your goals with this and you get exactly what you need. Everything I have heard about them has been good..

Check with some of our sponsors as they are dealers for them. Cary (OBSWIZ) of CT Performance, Truck Toyz Performance I believe both have them.

Its not cheap buts its high quality. Close to $3K for the kit and another $500-$1K for the coil overs.

Another option would be to covert to a 05 up front axle with coil spring front. (Not coil over)

You would need to check to be sure it woudl not case any issues but you may even be able to grind away some of the steering stops once you have it to increase your turning radius.

I have looked at both ways and I think when I get ready I will be going with coil overs between the two. For what I have planned for brakes etc its will work out best for me.

Other on here have far greater experince and hopefully will weigh in.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Another thought, have you considered changing to a rim with different back spacing instead? Maybe even a 1" spacer for a cheap way out. Coil-overs are very cool and as I said plan to go with them eventually but if all you are after is no rubbing there could be less costly ways to go about it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If it was my truck, I'd find a wreck and strip the front suspension out of it and install it on your truck. It would cost a lot less than an aftermarket kit and you'd have factory components.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yep, I'd get the whole front suspension out of an 05 and up dually.

You would be set.

Or, try some spacers for a cheap way out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with above if you can get a set of axles out of a '05 newer dually. I swapped in a set of '06-newer axles and love it. If you need some one to do the work I can give you a few great referrals. I would help you out but i don't live in Houston area anymore.

Full Traction has a sweet set-up too. I know Truck Toyz has had some great deals on their products, so I might give them a try for parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about the fabtech coilover lift kit? i just ordered the 8 inch kit from 4wheel parts. anyone have any experience with this kit? going on an '01 crew cab dually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just did a forum search on this kit. how bad are they? the counter guy said they dont sell many because of the cost, but they work great. did i just make a 7000$ mistake?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
what about the fabtech coilover lift kit? i just ordered the 8 inch kit from 4wheel parts. anyone have any experience with this kit? going on an '01 crew cab dually.
Its OK but the Full Traction kit is considered a better setup by everyone that I talked to that had experince. Take it for what it's worth. In looking at the two I woudl have to agree.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'd use a '05 up axle swap as as good as the Full traction kit is it won't provide larger brakes or a better turn radius. You should be able to sell your axles, wheels and tires for close to the $$ that the new '05 up will run you. Then just get the radius arm mount and coil bucket..thats all thats needed if your lifting it. I would add a Pure Performance 4 link lift kit. Only way to really get the best ride quality from a '05 up is by using a 4 link kit.

If you need help or pricing PM me.

Cary

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Cary,

what is a rough price on a coil conversion once you have the 05 coil shock setup? The ones I have seen seem to be the same cist as doing a earlier leaf conv. Obviously in that setup while you would get the same increase in suspension perf you would not be getting the brakes or turning radius increase. I had figured going to coil overs from the 05+ setups would be less costly. Maybe I was looking at the wrong conversions?

·
Word
608 Posts
I've done many OEM axle swaps for the front ends of these trucks, converting early models to the 05' and up suspensions...it's more involved than what people think...swapping out the front axle is the easy part, BUT !!!! now you have to mount upper spring cups, all the front steering components, you have to mount the frame brackets for the radius arms, get radius arms and coils....you see where I'm going with this...you have to strip the entire front end of an OEM donor truck to make this work right...at a minimum you will need the axle, steering components, frame brackets and upper coil cups, then you can add any aftermarket springs or 4 link you want....this swap can add up to a lot of $$$$ pretty quick..

·
Word
608 Posts
Or if you really just want your tires to stop rubbing you can go the el cheapo route you can fab up some custom extended steering stops and have them welded into place...turning radius will suck but at least you won't rub anymore...

·
Registered
11 Posts
after looking into the full traction setup i changed my order to that with king coilovers and the fabtech 8 inch rear springs. i also got the dynatrac ball joints and freespin hub kit and the ssbc rotors and 8 piston calipers for the front.any opinions on this set up?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
One thing I would have changed would have been to go with ICON rear springs over the fabtech. Should give a much better ride and lifetime warranty against sag. For front pad and rotors I woud go with EBC if you want the best to go aong with those powerful SSBC 8 piston calipers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recommend keeping the '99-04 steering gear box. Toby at Welcome to Triple-X Traction! is making me a tie rod link threaded for the lower '05-newer tie-rod and the '99-04 pitman arm tie-rod. That is if you decide to go with an axle conversion.

·
Strokin' in Green Bay
68 Posts
after looking into the full traction setup i changed my order to that with king coilovers and the fabtech 8 inch rear springs. i also got the dynatrac ball joints and freespin hub kit and the ssbc rotors and 8 piston calipers for the front.any opinions on this set up?
I'd love to hear what you think about the lift setup with kings when you have it completed as well as see pictures. I have been thinking hard about the full traction lift and also the SSBC calipers. Let us know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Sorry fasttimez but at least the way I do it its easy and not expensive...can't speak as to how your doing it..how about some pictures of your conversions..since you have done lots.

Don't need different steering box or tie rod changes..least I don't..

Tarm..PM me. I don't post prices.

Cary

·
Word
608 Posts
True my way is not the only way to do it....but that's what makes modding trucks so great, you can learn new stuff no matter how many different vehicles you've done...The SSBC calipers bite hard....it will be like night and day when you swap them out and step on the brake for the first time....great when towing heavy loads..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts