Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
harohunter is you tranny build beacuse i just did some launches and it fills like my trannys sliping 80k

·
Registered
667 Posts
Do you have traction bars, or any other measure to keep your driveline in place under said launch?

If not, I'd caution against it b/c of breaking sh!t...
well I was going to make my own traction bars just like your this weekend but I found a set of procomps from someone on md that I am going to be picking up for dirt cheap. So within the next week or two I will have them on and be ready to hit the track. I am going to try 1200 rpm and work my way up. Hope all goes well

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
1200 rpm isn't going to spool the turbo up enough. The only way you will figure out what works for your truck is to do what you plan to do. Just try different things until you find what works best. At least you've been given good advice on where to start.

·
Registered
667 Posts
1200 rpm isn't going to spool the turbo up enough. The only way you will figure out what works for your truck is to do what you plan to do. Just try different things until you find what works best. At least you've been given good advice on where to start.
Well I plan to start conservatively then move my rpms up. I ahve been praticing my launches lately. I am getting my 4wd fixed(vaccum leak) so I can really start my 4wd launching. it is way to much work to pull my from wheel hub covers off becasue they are held on my allen keys. lol

·
The Stig
1,614 Posts
try boosting up to 20psi and then launching.

·
Registered
365 Posts
ok thanks guys i want to try it this weekend
do yourself a favor and make sure your hubs are fully engaged first or you could do some damage. click it into 4HI and roll forward a little bit making sure you are locked in, then you can hold the brake and build a little boost..

if you just click into 4 and hold the brake and the hubs dont fully lock, you could find only one hub locks and this will overspeed your front diff and could cause problems. happened to me once but luckily all it did was expel a bunch of front diff fluid out of the breather and all over the underside of the truck, not to mention the back tires and things got a little less than "straight ahead" ..

practice it a few times at different RPMs or at different boost levels till you get the feel of what gives you the best results w/out too much bogging or w/out too much wheel spin. it's kind of a good feeling though the first time you see 4 distinct black marks about 10feet long !!

the more you do it the more you'll find the right combination, but a few things to remember: the stock tranny/converter may or may not hold up to too many of these boosted launches, i know guys that claim to have many many passes like this on stock tranny/converter, but i'd say they are lucky.

also any time that you are "staging" your vehicle and stalling up the converter you are building tremendous amounts of heat inside your converter. do NOT hold it like this any longer than absolutely necessary to build the appropriate boost for launch and then get moving ~
you can 'burn down' if you stay on the converter and then you might as well forget seeing a decent ET on that pass.
get a trans temp gauge if you are planning on doing some serious racing or putting a lot of strain on your drivetrain and keep the phone number to suncoast handy :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah what he said. I have done about 85 launches at 2000 RPM it launches hard and is very consistent.

I ran a 8.89 8.89 and a 8.90 repeatedly.

Yeah my buddy rode passenger 1 time and he laid his keys up on the dash and when we launched they came off the dash and hit him in the nuts. You can see the video on youtube.
try this next time , take and tape a $100 bill on the top of your dash and tell him that if he can grab it while you are launching the truck he can have it..

note...
if you've got the power he WON'T be able to grab it :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well I plan to start conservatively then move my rpms up. I ahve been praticing my launches lately. I am getting my 4wd fixed(vaccum leak) so I can really start my 4wd launching. it is way to much work to pull my from wheel hub covers off becasue they are held on my allen keys. lol
i got a vacuum leak in mine several weeks ago also, and it's a pain, i ended up removing the center caps from my front rims and you can pop out the very end of them to get to the hubs, then you can simply click the hubs to locked position, even thought the front axles and driveshaft will turn while you drive you wont damage anything in the tranny if you are in 2wd mode because the transfer case will be disengaged.

of course you will be creating more parasitic drag on the drivetrain and this will cost you a bit in fuel mileage.. although i wouldn't recomend driving around all the time with them locked because not only are you wasting fuel, but you are putting wear on the front ujoings (minimal really not enough to worry) but i'm not sure how well the front driveline is balanced so i wouldn't be going crosscountry w/em engaged or anything. but i've not noticed any damage from brief excursions above the triple digit speed mark but i would unlock them before leaving the track.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i got a vacuum leak in mine several weeks ago also, and it's a pain, i ended up removing the center caps from my front rims and you can pop out the very end of them to get to the hubs, then you can simply click the hubs to locked position, even thought the front axles and driveshaft will turn while you drive you wont damage anything in the tranny if you are in 2wd mode because the transfer case will be disengaged.

of course you will be creating more parasitic drag on the drivetrain and this will cost you a bit in fuel mileage.. although i wouldn't recomend driving around all the time with them locked because not only are you wasting fuel, but you are putting wear on the front ujoings (minimal really not enough to worry) but i'm not sure how well the front driveline is balanced so i wouldn't be going crosscountry w/em engaged or anything. but i've not noticed any damage from brief excursions above the triple digit speed mark but i would unlock them before leaving the track.
Yea with my old truck I would leave them locked in for days on time. It does make more drag and effect you gas milage slightly but nothing to worry about it. I used to go surf fishing everyday and driving over the sand dunes required four wheel drive. I didn't trust the automatic hubs so I jsut kept them locked in. I trust them now though after my old truck. My truck is in the shop as we speak. Might as well use my bumper to bumper warranty why i have it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts