Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all ,first post in the PSnation
first pull last weekend, left in 4lL/3rd gear 2000-2100 rpms = smoked clutch.
with 35's i think i was to tall 2nd might have been better, after posting on TDS some good info was shared. A SouthBend DualDisk will be going in.
guys were talking abour 3800rpm launches, hell that's 500 rpms more than im ever going to see. are they serious 3800+ and dump the clutch seems like if the clutch holds somthin else is taking a bad beating at the r's.
i thought the game plan was getting it out easy then mash the go pedal.
-Jeff

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I'm sure they don't dump it, more like ease it out.

hopefully house and bbunting can comment.

those boys can work it in front of a sled :redspotdance:

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
Depends on your turbo and your suspension setup. Big turbo and you will have to slip it to light it, smaller turbo you can come off the clutch much quicker.

If you have a rev limiter put your right foot to the floor, let up slowly with the left till your tires spin then get off the all the way.

·
Powerstrokeless
71 Posts
The whole point of that double disc is that you can slip the clutch out of the hole instead of having to dump it. The smoother you can launch the better, dumping the clutch will give you a lot of hopping and spinning and not much ground speed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i really didnt think you would wind er up and dump it, i tried to ease it out and then nail it but with a stock clutch no chance. trucks a early 99 so yes id say a small turbo and it does light pretty quick. kinda nice seeing some familiar names again.
-Jeff

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
the idea from what i understand (don't know never done it myself) is to get it wound up and get on top of the turbo and let it out smoothly so that it hooks well while keeping the turbo lit... longer explanation of what bean said

·
Crazy *******
867 Posts
Jeff, Get the chain tight, relax and take a breath. Depending on your programming, rev limiter and how your motor is built lets you know how to get off the clutch. If you have the stock rev limit, put your foot on the floor with the throttle, start easing off the clutch real slow and watch your boost come up, when your just about to max boost the truck should start rolling as you continue to come off the clutch. The truck will let you know real fast if you came off clutch to fast. DO NOT LOOK AT THE PYROMETER.

Best advice I can give is to have fun, you'll figure it out.

(An even longer explination of what Bean said)

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Jeff, Get the chain tight, relax and take a breath. Depending on your programming, rev limiter and how your motor is built lets you know how to get off the clutch. If you have the stock rev limit, put your foot on the floor with the throttle, start easing off the clutch real slow and watch your boost come up, when your just about to max boost the truck should start rolling as you continue to come off the clutch. The truck will let you know real fast if you came off clutch to fast. DO NOT LOOK AT THE PYROMETER.

Best advice I can give is to have fun, you'll figure it out.

(An even longer explination of what Bean said)
lmao :hehe:

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I launch at 3800+ RPMs. I would post a video of what this looks like, but right now all my vids either show me in a gear that is way too low, or show me getting under my charger.....sometimes more than once on the same hook.....

Launch with as much as many RPMs as you can, ease out on the clutch as everyone else has been explaining.

Jason H.

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
heres how it goes, first off make sure hubs are locked and your in 4wd, back to sled, now make sure you put it in 3rd, double and triple check it! I have a piece of tape on the dash that my hand lines up with when i am in 3rd. Ive mistaked and pulled in 1rst and 5th once. Then pull chain tight and wait for the green. then slowly i bring it up to 1800 rpm so i don't shock the motor with a sudden oil pressure spike, then take it to the floor and at around 4100 start easing out on clutch till i get 40 psi built then get off it fast i can in smooth matter.

·
Jaw-Juh Stroker
91 Posts
heres how it goes, first off make sure hubs are locked and your in 4wd, back to sled, now make sure you put it in 3rd, double and triple check it! I have a piece of tape on the dash that my hand lines up with when i am in 3rd. Ive mistaked and pulled in 1rst and 5th once.
Do you mean third as in #3 on the stick, or the actual third gear #2 on the stick?

·
Registered
186 Posts
what about in a 6.0 with an auto

·
Jaw-Juh Stroker
91 Posts
Thanks House. I don't actually intend to do any sled pulling with my truck, at least not with it essentially stock. :^) Just nice to know exactly how the big boys do it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
do you just leave it in drive? seems like the ones i have herd do a lot of shifting

1 - 20 of 26 Posts