Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new batteries in my truck back in December. Up until last Friday I had not had any problems. While out doing some running last Friday I noticed that the truck seemed to be turning over slower while trying to start it. Needless to say it finally got to the point it won"t start. I'm guessing maybe the alternator but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks.

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Pull the starter and have it tested.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would get the batteries load tested first. If they are good then charge them, and get the alt load tested.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't screw around to long get them load tested and find the problem because weak or bad batteries will kill the FICM they run from 300$ to 1100$ and in time it will screw up the injectors also:doh:
2 stroker:fordoval:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I'm gonna try to charge the batteries so does it matter which battery I hook the charger to.

Thanks

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
No, just get it hooked up.... was the battery light on your dash on when you were driving it?

·
burning mine saving yours
183 Posts
Are you on your original alternator? Get it tested sounds like it would be a good place to start with relatively new batteries that are now dead. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the autozone alternators. Yes they have lifetime warranty but in 6 months i went through 4 off the shelf reman alternators before i finally replaced it with a mean green alternator.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll second staying away from az Alts. I don't recommend using any if there electric parts. I have a buddy who bought an alt from them in febuary. I told him they aren't worth crap, but he wanted me to put it on anyways. I did, and just mon he called and said it wasn't charging. So I took it back to az and made them load test there's new in box at the store. 5 out of 6 didn't even pass.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fordfreak4life to answer your question no the battery light wasn't on while driving. One day was starting fine the next day truck started turning over slow while trying to start it and then no start just click click click.

·
183 Posts
Is it your original alt? Have you pulled it and had it checked????

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
183 Posts
I'm guessing alt. Although new batteries CAN go bad in 5 months i have a hunch its the alt. Hopefully its something cheaper, and the alt didn't kill your new batteries. Just went through this, and my cheepy autozone alt killed a fairly new interstate battery:doh:

If you haven't already, pull the alt and get it tested. 3 bolts, 2 connectors, and a pull on the belt from the drivers side wheel well towards body and if you reach down under the idle tensioner there should be a spring loaded spring lock, which makes holding that belt loose and replacing the alt a cinch! Good luck..

·
183 Posts
Yes, sorry! Passengers side.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When you pull the alt and replace it, make sure that you plug in both your batts to a charger and fully charge them before you put the new alt on. What you will do if your batts arnt charge is overwork that alt and I have seen some go bad just because of that. If you are fully charged then you should have no prob. And charge the batts individually one by one not at the same time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts