Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes folks, that's right. Those crazy guys at the PHP labs who brought you the very first FICM reflashes have been cooking up a whole new brand of insanity! We make "Crazy Eddie" look like he's been given a dose of Thorazine. You wanted the biggest and baddest FICM tune? Here it is!

The new "Hercules" performance FICM strategy.
Stock: 329 HP @ 3050 RPM & 598 Ft./Lbs. @ 2150 RPM
Mod: 440 HP @ 3050 RPM & 899 Ft./Lbs. @ 2250 RPM

Test Vehicle Parameters:
2004 F-250 Single Cab 2WD
Stock Exhaust (including Cat), Stock Airbox, Head Studs, EGR Cooler Delete
ECM strategy VXBC6N4
FICM strategy ARZ2AL10 (which includes mild Inductive Heating.)

(This example is with a stock ECM strategy.)

(click on image to enlarge)

We're talking about 111 HP and 301 Ft./Lbs. (peak to peak, with 135 HP and 307 Ft./Lbs. max gain) of certifiable crazy! The only thing crazier than this tune is the price. It's the same as as our standard FICM tunes! Plus, this tune still runs the "mild" Inductive Heating Strategy so you won't have any cold start issues. Keep in mind that this is on a BONE STOCK ECM strategy. For improved high RPM performance, you can also include our modified ECM/TCM strategies. Take a look at this plot:

(This example is with a modified ECM strategy.)

As you can see, we've pretty much maxed out the capabilities of the injectors, so we needed a little extra "juice". Since we're already crazy (and we just happened to have it), we also ran a few runs with our Snow Performance Water Meth kit. We used their 49% methanol "Boost Juice" and are running the 175ml economy and 625ml power nozzles. Here's how it sized up:

(This example is with a modified ECM strategy and Water/Meth.)

Yes folks, that's 482 HP @ 3075 RPM and a whopping 1035 Ft./Lbs. @ 2250 RPM. On a 280,000 mile engine!!! Have we got chrome-moly cajones, or what? :doh:

Up next: Dieselsite 6.0L Adrenaline HPOP, 190cc Full Force Injectors, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust (with single center stack), and modified airbox (as yet to be determined). Time to go break some sh....tuffff!

:ford:

Note: All our test runs are made on our Mustang Dyno with Eddy Current Load Cell. Loaded dynos provide the most accurate RWHP numbers for both stock and modified power runs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So what kind of results could we expect running this with a tune?

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
I just got mine tuned by you guys less than a month ago... :( is there anyway I can get a rain check?

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Hold on a minute. So are you claiming a gain of over 100hp with a FICM tune alone?

·
Registered
752 Posts
ooooo my!!!!! thats right where im heading now. thats a crazy improvement with ficm tuning!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what kind of results could we expect running this with a tune?
That's a really good question. Frankly, the biggest limiting factor to HP on the 6.0L is the injectors. On the average 6.0L, this is usually around 420-440 HP. When running a modified ECM, the gains achieved by running an aggressive FICM tune are going to be dramatically reduced. Where we saw gains with a modified ECM/FICM combination was in the higher RPM ranges, but these gains were admittedly small due to limitations in the injectors. However, we did notice a tremendous improvement in throttle response running the modified FICM. Where modified FICM strategies are going to be significantly advantageous is when used in conjunction with modified injectors. This will allow much more fine-tunability to help improve drivability and performance in those applications.

With all that said, modified FICM tuning allows another option in the question for improved performance. Just one more tool in the toolbox, so to speak. :D

I just got mine tuned by you guys less than a month ago... :( is there anyway I can get a rain check?
Give me a shout. We'll put something together for you.

Hold on a minute. So are you claiming a gain of over 100hp with a FICM tune alone?
Yes, that's what were saying.

·
Registered
752 Posts
what kind of numbers will this be putting out with your highest custom tune? the 140hp tune i believe is what it was...?

or your thinking the gains with this setup will be better?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill, ive got a truck with 190's to be an ecm tune guinea pig in conjunction with this new ficm program :poke:
The tuning we have right now is designed specifically to work with stock sticks. However, we just got our 6.0L Adrenaline in on Thursday and I'm going to be on the phone with Full Force this week to get our 190s on order. Once they're installed and we've got our base tuning lined up, we'd be happy to work on some tunes for you. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make Rudy's event or I'd put something together for you then. That is, unless you feel like taking a little drive down from CT... Or maybe heading west after Rudy's???? ;)

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
We will see how it goes Bill, i've got the week off so if i play my cards right it might just happen... Ill be in touch when you get injector tuning into the works.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what kind of numbers will this be putting out with your highest custom tune? the 140hp tune i believe is what it was...?

or your thinking the gains with this setup will be better?
As indicated previously, whether we tune the ECM, FICM, or both, there is still a limitation to the actual injection volume. Without bigger injectors, the max HP isn't going to change much over the 140 HP ECM tuning... or basically about 420-440 HP. What I am finding interesting is the inability to maintain traction, even when goosing at 25 MPH. :eek: Like the guy says in My Cousin Vinny... "Yeah... They was all over the road!" Throttle response is dramatically improved, even over some of my most aggressive tuning. Can't wait to hit the track next weekend!

·
Registered
752 Posts
hope you get some tunning figured out for 190s. been looking to going to 190s so i might just wait on the ficm till after i get the injectors. the extra throttle response sounds good though!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
My questions with this would be:
How would this work while towing, because you can't undo the Ficm tune

What about using this with a strategy tune, would the Ficm then basically make a custom tune good for transmission tuning only with lite or mild ECM tuning?

What are egt temperatures at?

Is the power the same on a 48v vs a 58v?

These are just some quick ones off the top of my head, looking forward to hearing back from you guys! Looks like an awesome product

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My questions with this would be:
How would this work while towing, because you can't undo the Ficm tune
As you've probably already surmised, this tune is NOT going to be ideal for a towing application. We have a less aggressive tune that would be more suitable for a towing application.

What about using this with a strategy tune, would the Ficm then basically make a custom tune good for transmission tuning only with lite or mild ECM tuning?
It depends on how aggressive the ECM tune is. With an aggressive FICM tune, the ECM tuning is greatly minimized more focus is put on the TCM tuning instead. On our initial testing, we made power with ZERO ECM tuning. However, we still ran into a defueling issue in the upper RPM range. Moderate ECM tuning helps to improve the upper RPM range performance.

What are egt temperatures at?
On hard acceleration, we're seeing 1400º EGTs... which is about the same as what we'd see with an aggressive ECM tune.

Is the power the same on a 48v vs a 58v?
Haven't tried yet. Got the 58v FICM in the cabinet but haven't installed it yet.

These are just some quick ones off the top of my head, looking forward to hearing back from you guys! Looks like an awesome product
Keep 'em coming. Love good questions.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Guess I'll be hitting you guys at PHP shortly. Already have bob's pump talking to him about his HPOD system.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm confused, how is it 329 whp stock? A stock 6.0 is only 325 at the crank

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alright, what are the reliability issues involved in an aggressive Ficm tune like this? Any heat issues or would you recommend an upgraded Ficm to start with? Obviously that would be the preferred method though. Are you able to make this a gryphon tune also so if folks wanted to they could change it to the less aggressive tune for towing, etc. I'm trying to see what this tune offers over an ECM tune

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm confused, how is it 329 whp stock? A stock 6.0 is only 325 at the crank
There are a number or trucks that have dynoed well over the 300+ HP bone stock while many trucks have dynoed in the 280-290 HP range stock. Also, keep in mind that our truck has the EGR deleted, which eliminates a certain degree of power loss as well. At our Dyno event 2 weeks ago, we saw a range of numbers from different trucks and I have no reason to feel the stock numbers we're seeing are out of line.

1 - 20 of 393 Posts