Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a bone stock...7.3, trying to gain some MPG from it. Right now Im averaging between 14-16 mpg. Its a Short bed, ex cab 6 speed, F350.

When I got the truck it had a boost leak. I seem to have fixed that and cant find any more, although i need to pressurize the CAC system to look for any pinholes., But by the looks of the egt's while cruising I shouldnt have any. anywhere between 400-600 cruising. I guess Ill change the fuel filter, oil, throw some anti seize on the caliper pins, Tires are at 50PSI. I was hoping to squeeze about 18 out of it after reading the posts here. Ill throw a superchips 1705 on it and see if that will help it any.

What do yall recommended on oil for the turd? And just an FYI at WOT i only see about 20 lbs of boost, and i also have 3.73's.

Any opinions welcome...

Thanks guys,
Tony

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think the Superchips will give you any gains in MPG. Might make it more fun to drive with the throttle on, but that's not going to better the MPG.

Rotella oils seem to work very well in Power Strokes. Haven't seen any appreciable gains with different oils in any oils. I've always wished that I'd see a gain in synthetic transmission and rear end oils, but I've never been able to record them.

What size tires does it have, and how fast are you driving?

·
R.I.P PSN
1,146 Posts
do not go with a super chip. if anything, get custom tunes from one of the many tuners who can make tunes around what you use your truck for/what your goals are. you will get better power and economy with custom tunes over a stuper chip.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Your driving habits affect MPG more than anything if all is well with your drivetrain.

Get a exhaust temp gauge and do NOT exceed 600 degrees. It will bore you to death driving like this.

Next, never exceed the speed limit on any given road.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I used to have a '00 F250 with a handshaker.

I'd shift at 1300 rpm and keep real easy on the skinny pedal and see some low 20's with rural highway driving (the closest thing I had to 'in town' at the time).

Most of what you can do is with the nut behind the wheel.

I got tunes and they ran great but I enjoyed them too much and never got as good of mileage as I did stock. Gotta have the discipline if you want to save the cheese!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The exhaust I did and DIY intake made a difference on mine, can almost get 20 out of it on the highway unloaded at 55.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Forgot to mention, I had an S&B intake and muffler delete on my stock exhaust. And it was a 4x2 supercab shortbed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grab a TS six position chip,(i like swamps tunes) a decent intake (afe stage one worked good for me), exhaust at least cut the cat out and ad a larger down pipe(3.5 or 4), and if you're in cold weather stay away from the rotella... (even though it's worse for the 6.0s) here in the north east i've seen 7.3s start poorly with that thick of oil as it is harder for the injectors to fire. I run valvoline premium blue synthetic and it mine always starts great. if you're real high mileage though you might spring a few leaks... just my two cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts