Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SilverBullet06
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody run KYB Monomax shocks? Tire Pros recommended them. How are they compared to Bilstein? Rancho? ETC?

I am getting my 2.5" leveling kit with 3" rear blocks put on and I gettin new shocks all around. 06' F-250 Crew 6.0 4x4. I don't do a lot of towing but some and very little off-road. Thanks

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CRAP shocks...If you want the best riding..Bilsteins..FYI I am biased as I sell and have used Bilsteins for over 35 years

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I have better luck with bilstein HD's than anything else on these heavy trucks

In order of best to worst..

Bilstein
KYB
Rancho

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
CRAP shocks...If you want the best riding..Bilsteins..FYI I am biased as I sell and have used Bilsteins for over 35 years
I highly disagree.
I run the red KYB's on both my trucks. Best shock for the money out there.
Back when I had an F150 that was dropped I was looking at the Bil's the Lightnings used...found the specs on them vs the KYB's....same damned thing.

There's no need tonspend twice the money just to buy a name...sorry.

The KYB's on my black truck have over 60,000 miles on them. I pulled them a few months ago to check them out....all 4 were like new.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Adam is sending me some Icons. They're supposed to be top of the line, and better than the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i just had the KYB rep in yesterday. Its funny you say they are crap. He had a Bilstein 5100 and a KYB monomax and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference internally. He had a ton of info and like Richard said for the money you cant beat them.
Now as far as the ICON shocks they are Edelbrocks relabled. Even BDS uses them for their premium line.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
KYB's...yep good stuff thats why you see them on just about every car over $100k and on race courses everywhere...NOT!

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Your opinion is unbiased as a Bilstein dealer, right? LOL
Do a little research on specs, materials used, rebound, dampening, etc between a Bil and a KYB for the same truck and let us know how different they really are. You might be surprised at how similar they are.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Your opinion is unbiased as a Bilstein dealer, right? LOL
Do a little research on specs, materials used, rebound, dampening, etc between a Bil and a KYB for the same truck and let us know how different they really are. You might be surprised at how similar they are.
I would agree. My earlier post was geared towards the heavier trucks. I ran KYB's on multiple half tons and they worked better than every other shock I had used before. I had KYB's on my OBS, and they worked well.

I needed shocks for my superduty, and a vendor sent me a set of Bilsteins to try out, if I didn't like them.. send them back. They work perfectly and I got the Bilstein shocks for my superduty for the price of the KYB's. I just ordered a set of KYB's to put on my friend's truck from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com They were delivered quickly and they work very well.

So to the OP, just stay away from Rancho's.

·
SilverBullet06
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to go with the kyb's but they do not make them for lifted applications. BUMMER! I went with the rancho 9000's. From what you guys say I should of went with bilsteins. Hopefully the ranchos aren't crap. Too late now.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've ran KYB's..its got nothing to do with bias as I can sell them, ranchos also and make more $$ but I won't sell crap.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You can't just say "Bilsteins" when you mention their shocks.

Bilstein makes about half a dozen shocks for these trucks depending on the lift, model, etc. HDs, 5100s, 5150s, 7100s, etc. People need to be more specific when they mention "Bilsteins".

Mechanically, Bilstein makes high quality shocks.

Whether you end up with a shock that is damped properly for your application or not is another thing.

Bilstein is the only manufacturer that will actually tell you what kind of damping you are getting. And you can change it with some of their shocks.

Bilstein is launching a new 5160 line which is an affordable, rebuildable, tunable, bushing mounted, digressive valved, remote reservoir shock.

They will be less harsh than the 5100 and 5150s because the nitrogen reservoir volume has been increased.

I'll be testing them on my truck when they are available.

I have no affiliation with any shock manufacturer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts