Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i get away with buy this chip and not have guages for awhile till i get some??? I Tow about 13,000lbs.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Not sure what programs are on it and how it works with your truck but I wouldn't do anything without gauges. Why would you want to do any chipping WITHOUT gauges?

·
Banned
459 Posts
ya gauges are a must

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I've made 20+ passes, and played around for more than 2 years now. No gauges.
Not saying its a good idea, but if you listen to the motor and drive with some sense, you'll be fine.
Your braver than I am. I check mine constantly.

You don't really tow anything though do you?

I cant hear 1400* pulling a hill @ 65mph. :poke: But my gauge tells me. :D ;)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Your egt's should stay pretty low if you have no boost leaks. A friend with Matt's tunes cannot get his truck to get over 1200 on his tow/ economy tune towing his 36'' 5th wheel camper. Just dont tow like a hot rod and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I cant hear 1400* pulling a hill @ 65mph. :poke: But my gauge tells me. :D ;)
Wait a while and you will hear it when a window appears on the side of the block.

·
McLovin!
338 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I've made 20+ passes, and played around for more than 2 years now. No gauges.
20 passes might mean it gets hot for a few seconds. OTOH, you don't know how hot it gets so you are in ignorance. Quarter mile is less than 20 seconds. Total time is probably like 10 seconds where it is over the limit. After which it can cool off. 5 mins of 1400 degrees and it might just blow a piston. Why risk it?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys only reason i asked is i got a redneck guy who has a truck and put the stupid edge chip on 100hp setting and he doesnt have any guages and ran it up the 17 towards Flagstaff goin 80mph up those hill with 13,000bs behind him and his trucks still runs good. I'm just going to get guages first i guess.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
gauges should always come first. just cause someones truck still seems to run fine after doing something like that doesnt mean the truck is fine.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
thanx guys only reason i asked is i got a redneck guy who has a truck and put the stupid edge chip on 100hp setting and he doesnt have any guages and ran it up the 17 towards Flagstaff goin 80mph up those hill with 13,000bs behind him and his trucks still runs good. I'm just going to get guages first i guess.
Probably a good idea. They really are cheap compared to engine parts. :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah jsut sucks the supporting mods to have to put in to have fun.:D

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
it might suck but I would rather have the supporting mods in place such as gauges then have to worry and wonder what the temps are pulling that 13,000lbs up a 6% grade.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
it might suck but I would rather have the supporting mods in place such as gauges then have to worry and wonder what the temps are pulling that 13,000lbs up a 6% grade.
Or the repair bill? LOL

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I keep doing this... I'm not advocating running tunes with no gauges. But unless I have a huge boost leak, lug it for miles, or hold it to the floor for 5 minutes on my hot tune, I doubt I'm doing any damage. I will have a pyro soon, and I may be scared at what I see. LOL

But I doubt it. I know what's bad and what's not. All I was saying was that it CAN be done. I do have a boost gauge though... I know... I've got a pyro coming soon.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't tow heavy, but if I did, that's what the stock setting is for...
I use a 60HP Tow tune for towing heavy. The shifting is softer than the 80E tune

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
just because it CAN be done doesnt mean it should be done, most people that run tuners without gauges do end up breaking something....but 95% of the time they are running edge or bully dog.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts