Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed my kingpin Dana 60 out of a 1989 F350 DRW cab and chassis welding truck. It worked on a mine it's whole life and only had 70,000 miles, but looked like it had 300,000. I cleaned up the Dana 60 and rebuilt it from the inner axle seals out to the brakes. All Timken bearings and Spicer u-joints, Hawk brake pads, Brembo Blank rotors, stainless brake flexlines, XRF steering linkage and Energy Suspension poly bushings everywhere I could. All stock F350 suspension for now, I'm gonna save my pennies for an RSK, V-codes(already have these) and Bilsteins. But, truck defintely rides better now than with the worn out TTB. Here are a few picks with before and after wheel well measurements.

And thank you to everyone who has posted pictures, writeup and advice on this board. Not just for this swap, but for everything else, too. I like to work on my own stuff and the information here makes it possible for me to get it done with my truck.

Rusty

Attachments

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
looks good, it raised it up a good 1 1/2 inches too. Nice job, clean install!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Right on looks awesome....mine with an RSK and SD springs is 41" in front and 40" on the rear with 35" tires. Nice install

jrc

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliments. Took me right at 10 hours to finish everything, 4 hours the first day, and six today. I just took my time and made sure I tightened every bolt and bled the brakes.

Hmmmmmm....41" at the front fender with 35's, huh? I have 285/75/16's, right at 33" tires, and my fender measurement is 38-1/4" or so..... I'm thinking the RSK won't raise me up more than another 3/4-1". That sound about right? My next set of tires will be 255/85/16's and I don't want the truck any higher than I can help it.

Rusty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
RS kit with V's and B codes on a F350 rear block will be level..

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Nice job, makes it a whole new truck don't it?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cary,

I think the RSK with V codes is gonna be perfect for me. JCart's truck is 40" at the rear fender with 35's. My truck with B-codes, stock F250 blocks and 285's is 39-1/2". Sounds like our rear suspensions sit about the same, mine might be a little taller even. I am thinking with the RSK/V codes, my truck might be level. We'll just have to do it and see.

Cat,

It sure is like a new truck. A bit firm, but much better than the TTB. I just realized how much road noise came through the metal on metal in the bushings and such. I am looking forward to the RSK/V codes though to make it better.

Rusty

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just measured the rear fender height again, and I am at 40-1/4". I think I may be fine with the rear setup and just add the RSK/V codes.

Rusty

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
You might want to see if you can find a sway bar for the front. I was amazed how much body roll there was once I had a suspension with more than 1/2" of travel.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I definitely need an alignment, go in tomorrow for that.

Cowboy,

Not much body lean, yet. But have been driving a bit cautiously to feel out all of the new parts. I will keep an eye out for a front sway bar, NPD has them but they're $200!!!! May find one off a wreck or salvaged truck.

Thanks.

Rusty

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I installed (forgot to mention) Goodyear Velvet ride shackles on the rear and these tend to lower the ride height by an inch. To offset that I have installed the 4" rear spring (obs F350) block, also an additional 1 inch blocl too.... Moreover mine is a surprisingly heavy truck with the extra 145 litre (38 us gal) tank, aluminum drybox fuel cell combo (200 litres) for a total of 405 litres or so and other mods tips in at just over 8000lbs!! Thus the air bags....

Anti sways off the obs F350 front and rear are nice too makes it handle way tighter.....

jrc

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh......I see. Well, I'm still gonna try it out with the setup I am running in the rear now. I sure want to do it, hopefully sooner than later.

BTW, JCart, your truck looks awesome. Makes me want to pull the shell off of mine. If I only could.

Thanks, again.

Rusty

·
Registered
82 Posts
correct me if im wrong but from what ive been reading you dont need a panhard bar if you use a rsk? if that is true then you wouldnt need to get the 350 spring plate for the passenger side??

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Spanky88,

Have not run either of my trucks w/o the panhard bars....I can say did notice a difference when I put poly bushings in the bar ends though!! The spring plate is a bugger to get here in Western Canada.....from the dealer the cost is prohibitive.....get to the used yard (wreckers).

I like my truck to go where I point it. It will steer and handle way better with it. Without a panhard as you steer round corners and truck shifts oppostite to steering direction this shift in effect actually makes the truck steer inconsistantly (progressively as body rolls to outside) and you have to correct steering input. I would not drive mine without it or antisway bars either....

jrc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spanky88,

Have not run either of my trucks w/o the panhard bars....I can say did notice a difference when I put poly bushings in the bar ends though!! The spring plate is a bugger to get here in Western Canada.....from the dealer the cost is prohibitive.....get to the used yard (wreckers).

I like my truck to go where I point it. It will steer and handle way better with it. Without a panhard as you steer round corners and truck shifts oppostite to steering direction this shift in effect actually makes the truck steer inconsistantly (progressively as body rolls to outside) and you have to correct steering input. I would not drive mine without it or antisway bars either....

jrc
thanks. i haave yet to really mess with a leaf spring front suspension and have never noticed one having a panhard bar. the only front suspension ive messes with so far is my 93 cherokees witch is alot different haha. ive heard that those brackets are a bich to find and was just lookin for the options

·
GIG 'EM
240 Posts
Hey rusty do you mind sharing a couple more pics of your truck. It looks really clean, and I want to see how it sits with that D60 under it.:D

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!! I will post some more pics when I get home Tuesday.

Rusty

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is a pretty staight foward swap right? just bolts up?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts