Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard it talked about before but I don't quite remember what the deal with running kerosene in a diesel would do.

Reason I ask is I have a '92 F-350 with an IDI 7.3 and my dad recently got a pellet stove and no longer uses the kerosene heater. That leaves almost 20 gallons of kerosene sitting in the garage that will never be used. I am about flat broke at the moment and if it wouldn't kill the truck I was going to use some of it to get around for the next couple weeks.

I heard it was a "dryer" fuel as far as lubrication so could I put a bunch of diesel kleen in with it and be ok or will it not hurt being as I won't be using but 15-20 gallons and then probably never again?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not add some WalMart two stroke oil to it if you're concerned about lube. When I get kerosene, I mix it with used motor oil, but that takes a bit of doing to get setup.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Most owners manuals for diesel engines sold in the USA in the 80s stated that during the winter months it was acceptable to ad kerosene to the diesel tank to prevent fuel gelling.

However, if you are concerned about a loss of lubricity in your fuel, then you can add 1 quart of motor oil (10-30) for every gallon of kerosene added to your fuel tank. This should have no negative impact on your engine performance, or longevity.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
I've run Kero, but I ONLY blend it in with my WVO in my heated tank. I will not run kero straight, and I typically only run it when it gets down to 0 or below, only add a few gallons in the mix. Nothing too crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Montana we can get #1 diesel at the pump which is very close to kerosene.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my part of the country it is downright expensive. Kero is anywhere from $7.65-$9.95 a gallon. It depends if you are buying in a 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drum. I want to try some for blending, but at that cost it is not feasible. Diesel 1 is not available here as far as I have seen.

Is Jet A about the same thing? I think I have read that somewhere before. I wonder if I went to a small airport I could buy 5 gallons from the fueling company?

·
Registered
444 Posts
i know one year i got some jet b and blended that. my old truck ran great. i have used kerosene in semi's during the winter months to help keep it from gelling but i would not run it straight.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Most owners manuals for diesel engines sold in the USA in the 80s stated that during the winter months it was acceptable to ad kerosene to the diesel tank to prevent fuel gelling.

However, if you are concerned about a loss of lubricity in your fuel, then you can add 1 quart of motor oil (10-30) for every gallon of kerosene added to your fuel tank. This should have no negative impact on your engine performance, or longevity.
I qt per gallon is way big time overkill. 1 oz per gallon is enough

1 - 11 of 11 Posts