Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Behave Ruben.

For anyone that thinks I'm pushing Mike, ill clarify.

Nothing against you Mike at all, but when you first said you tuned 6.0/VT365 in 99 kinda was like wow how could he if the motor wasn't released till 03. Now that you said you were on development n cert team explains a lot and any questions.

So why didn't they can the motor ? Instead they keep it and have problems wanna hear ur opinion about it lil more knowledge from the past doesnt hurt
but I thought you being a mod had to keep threads on track, not derail? :poke:

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Oh Ill show you a derail :poke.

This wasn't a derail anyway, its about KEM tuning 6.0, and I was curious how he did it yrs before so it was still on topic in reguard of tuning nice try.

·
BIGG PIGG EDITION
84 Posts
let us know how it compares to erics and matts tunes
Should have a post in about 2 hours or so... on my first impression of the tunes... Havent had time with work this week to play with truck, so gonna take the truck into work have some fun on the way... :postwhore2::postwhore2:<dont know why I posted that, besides it makes me laugh)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Back to what I was asking, I'm curious since Mike stated he was on the development and cert team for the 6.0 n VT365, so I'm curious to know his take on this prior to the motor was released in Fords in 03.
In my opinion, the engine was released too soon. That is why there were major changes from 03 to 04 and then to 05. The release of the 6.0L came with new technology (EGR, EGR cooler, VG turbo, etc.) for more strict emissions levels that all manufacturers were struggling with. International made it more difficult with the want/need to stick with the G2 injector. Had they gone with a common rail system, and yes there were a few built, I believe that the issues would have been far fewer. Again this is just my observation and opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
In my opinion, the engine was released too soon. That is why there were major changes from 03 to 04 and then to 05. The release of the 6.0L came with new technology (EGR, EGR cooler, VG turbo, etc.) for more strict emissions levels that all manufacturers were struggling with. International made it more difficult with the want/need to stick with the G2 injector. Had they gone with a common rail system, and yes there were a few built, I believe that the issues would have been far fewer. Again this is just my observation and opinion.

Mike
now with that said, saying that the motor was released too early and revisions were made to the 05^ trucks such as EGR cooler..that really doesn't change anything, since the EGR coolers on the 05^ are more prone to failures then the years prior. Not to mention all the same problems (basically) exist on all 6.0's from 03-07

If testing was being done in 99, and it was released in 03, and that's considered too early, how many years of testing is needed?

·
Registered
251 Posts
now with that said, saying that the motor was released too early and revisions were made to the 05^ trucks such as EGR cooler..that really doesn't change anything, since the EGR coolers on the 05^ are more prone to failures then the years prior. Not to mention all the same problems (basically) exist on all 6.0's from 03-07
EGR coolers aside, the later engines had very few issues compared to the earlier ones.

Now, are we talking about bone stock trucks or tuned ones? Keep in mind Ford pressured International to bring the price of the engines down considerably despite the fact that many more parts were added for emissions standards. The 6.0L was definitely NOT over-engineered like the 7.3L. It was designed to operate at the stock limits and very little over that, unlike the 7.3L. Aftermarket tuning devices became very popular on the diesels a year or so after the release of the 6.0L and the early tuning on these trucks by some didn't help with durability either.

If testing was being done in 99, and it was released in 03, and that's considered too early, how many years of testing is needed?
Testing started in late 98 early 99. Amount of time testing is not a simple answer. There were many changes made on the engines along the way which lengthened the overall time needed. The first 6.0L engine was very similar to the new 6.7L with the inboard exhaust and the outboard intake. It ran great but had many issues. That design was changed to the production inboard intake outboard exhaust due to vehicle requirements. The development of the VGT and the control strategies, the EGR and intake throttle, the injection system, NVH, etc. all take time. In answer to your question, there is no set time.

·
Power Junky
1,055 Posts
Mike on the topic of the early 6.0. Why did they not just use the same tty bolts found in the 6.4 or retrofit the commonized motors with them? Seems that would have save a boatload of warranty work. I can see from a manfacture point not using studs but I would think they would have beefed up that. Did they not have very many hg failures in testing and/or egr + oil cooler failures that caused the hg to go?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Hmmm now who's derailing Adam, got you curious and asking question, very nice Mike knowing more info.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What was the deal with the CR system on the 6.0? Do you know of people that still have the motor or were thay all junked?

·
BIGG PIGG EDITION
84 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys. Was a busy week getting ready for the Indy 4x4 Jamboree. Any ways, got KEM tunes.

The tune is nice and very streetable. Shifting is great. Power is more streetable than anything. I like the tune for a daily driver tune, but I don't use my truck daily. Its a moderate tune. Customer service from Mike is hands down the best I've delt with. Took the time to listen to my concerns and get the tune where I'm content with. This tune is my second favorite. SRL file from Gearhead is what I run all the time. If I had a daily driver 6.0 I would run KEM tune. Innovative Xtreme Street runs a little too hot in my truck for my liking and thats why I hardly ever run it.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been tuning and working on Powerstrokes for almost fifteen years now. Just a little background, I have been tuning 7.3L Powerstrokes since 1997, 6.0L Powerstrokes since 1999, first to develop "off road/race" DPF delete and custom tuning for the 6.4L, and first to tune the all new 6.7L. I even had an Excursion with the 6.0L as a daily driver for a few years in late 2001 (Yes a pre-release development truck). I test on all our own trucks (from the 7.3L to the all new 6.7L) before releasing anything to the customer.

KEM offers a full tuning package for the 6.0L, including custom FICM tuning using the latest inductive heating part two files, for all trucks from stock to highly modified. I can also tune the FICM for bigger injectors. Elite diesel has been selling our FICM tuning with all their injector sales for a while now.

Give us a call or send us an email with any questions.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been tuning and working on Powerstrokes for almost fifteen years now. Just a little background, I have been tuning 7.3L Powerstrokes since 1997, 6.0L Powerstrokes since 1999, first to develop "off road/race" DPF delete and custom tuning for the 6.4L, and first to tune the all new 6.7L. I even had an Excursion with the 6.0L as a daily driver for a few years in late 2001 (Yes a pre-release development truck). I test on all our own trucks (from the 7.3L to the all new 6.7L) before releasing anything to the customer.

KEM offers a full tuning package for the 6.0L, including custom FICM tuning using the latest inductive heating part two files, for all trucks from stock to highly modified. I can also tune the FICM for bigger injectors. Elite diesel has been selling our FICM tuning with all their injector sales for a while now.

Give us a call or send us an email with any questions.

Mike
Hi just seeing this and looking for some info in where and how to purchase a FICM tune and how it works as far as install/application. I have a 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel with long start issues. It’s bulletproof etc. wanting to do a remote start.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts