Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you running a kc38r on a stock truck? The new 366 one not the older one. I am wondering how one behaves on stock sticks but the .84 ar exaust housing. I am getting bigger injectors in the future but will be on stock injectors for a little while. I currently have the stock turbo with the 1.0 ar housin so im wondering what it would be like compaired to that. Im hoping lag would be compairable and not worse until i get bigger injectors. And for anyone that has the kc38r what size injectors are you using and how do you like it? any problems?

·
College Student
214 Posts
I have the kc38r with a 1.0 ar with baby swamps injectors. I want to say they are like 150cc off the top of my head. They are on the small side of the turbo. It does spool faster, but not by much. Pretty comparable to the stock turbo and injectors. When I set my ts6 to stock, it takes quite a while to spool. But with a 0.84 ar housing, it would be better. I wish I had the 0.84 instead of the 1.0 housing. I would recommend like 175cc or above.
Others on here would be able to point out the better injector recommendations than me. Just the 150cc is on the small side for the turbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man I appriciate the answer. How do you like the turbo so far? How are your temps towing? I will be getting the .84 ar housing and im coming from a 1.o ar on a stock turbo so im thinking it will be better.

·
College Student
214 Posts
Its pretty nice. As for dropping temps, it did a little, but it also flows more air, so it makes about the same boost wise, but there is a higher volume. The turbo is quieter in the cab, but has a pretty nice whistle out the exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input I appreciate it. did you install yourself? What up pipes did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
College Student
214 Posts
Tried to swap it myself, didnt work first two attempts at getting the rear bolts broke loose, just ended up braking tools. Was under the impression that it was pretty impossible to do on my 95. Ended up running out of time to do it and took it to a shop to have it done. Even then with their experience, it took them like 4 or 5 hours to get it pulled and swapped. They broke one of the studs on the collector and took some time to fix that. I had up pipes replace, but not sure what manufacture of them.

It doesn't look like a bad job if bolts cooperate with you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be doing the job myself I know my way around a truck. Thanks for all the input! Anyone else have experience with this turbo? Or know of anyone running it on stock injectors?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will be doing the job myself I know my way around a truck. Thanks for all the input! Anyone else have experience with this turbo? Or know of anyone running it on stock injectors?

What size injectors are you planning to run? A 205-238/80 is where this turbo would come into play over the KC300x 63mm. Those new turbos seem to be better. I have a KC38r 366 with 1.0 housing with 238/80 injectors. It doesn't really light all that fast with 35s, especially if in OD under 1500 rpm it is really really lazy. I think you are better off with the 300x 63/73/1.0 probably up to like 205/30. But if going bigger than that, then you should go with a T4 setup with s366sxe .91 housing. My .02 after my experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are any of you running a kc38r on a stock truck? The new 366 one not the older one. I am wondering how one behaves on stock sticks but the .84 ar exaust housing. I am getting bigger injectors in the future but will be on stock injectors for a little while. I currently have the stock turbo with the 1.0 ar housin so im wondering what it would be like compaired to that. Im hoping lag would be compairable and not worse until i get bigger injectors. And for anyone that has the kc38r what size injectors are you using and how do you like it? any problems?
What injectors do you plan on going with? I would figure that out first before you decide on the turbo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking into the kc300x with the 63/73 like you stated. i wonder if that or the new kc88r 63/73 would be better. The only difference on the kc38r tiger turbo vs the same size kc300x are the ball bearings correct? arent the wheels and housings the same? im still not 100% sure on my injectors. i know whatever turbo i end up getting they will be ran on stock sticks for a little while. I would love to get 238/80 injectors maybe bigger but realistically when time and money comes down to it i have a pmr truck. so most likely 180-200cc range instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts