Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L 4R100 RWD DRW
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the sound of the KC300x Stage 1 turbo. What do ya'll think of it? It's affordable, drops in, seems to work well in a mildly modified engine with stock injectors, and the tech department at FFD says the tunes on my PHP hydra should work outstanding with it. No custom tuning required after the swap. My oem turbo has a damaged compressor wheel and I'd like to upgrade rather than rebuild.

Any others I should consider in it's $1200 price range? I know its a journal turbo and there are ball bearing one's available like the GTP38r, but it's too pricey and the truck is not going to see bigger injectors or racing. I've just been restoring the power and also want to maximize the available power in close to stock form to have a powerful dependable work truck.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I like mine. Ball bearing turbos do spool a bit faster... but I think that the journal bearing turbos are more reliable in the long run. Reading lots of different posts it seems if you are racing go with a ball bearing, but if you are towing/daily driving go with a journal. I know @Jax had a ball bearing KC in her truck that failed after not too long. KC replaced it with a journal bearing after it failed and she hasn't had problems since.

Cj

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What differences did you notice from the stock turbo? Is the truck significantly more powerful, or is it more of a slightly better replacement turbo? My main reason for replacing is just that mine is worn out and since I put a php hydra in I'm getting surge/stalling. But I would like it to be a better performing unit all around.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I purchased a stage one for a 97 with a .81 turbine housing. The KC turbo builds boost at much lower engine speeds. Old turbo... I'd make 1.5 psi of boost on a level road at 65 mph, the KC is 3.5 to 4 psi of boost in similar conditions. Edit: I should finish answering the question... overall the truck is more powerful as it builds boost earlier. The PCM will only add so much fuel as you accelerate as it is trying to reduce smoke. A turbo that builds boost sooner and easier will over come the PCM's "reluctance" to add the additional fuel while accelerating. I haven't had a chance to pull anything super heavy since adding the new turbo and fixing the up pipes (mine were leaking like crazy), but even just in daily driving the power difference is noticeable and comes on sooner.

Cj

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your experience. I went ahead and ordered one. Pretty sure it's gonna be a good improvement all around. Especially since mine is damaged. I just did my up-pipes too and that's when I found the compressor wheel fins to be worn off on the ends leaving large gaps between it and the housing. It didn't seem like a big deal since I had very little play in it and it still hits 25psi in the 80hp setting 30psi in the 100hp setting on the php hydra. But the surge/stalling happening in the 100hp setting is enough to feel like something is going to let loose and come apart. I also like that the new turbos have a 4" inlet. Should gobble up air nicely and compliment the 4" down-pipe/exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Well, well, what do you think?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a good turbo. I'm able to hit 35psi but I leave my hydra on the 80psi setting which sees 30psi. No more surge issues. As little use as my truck sees I'm sure it will last many many years.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
It's been a good turbo. I'm able to hit 35psi but I leave my hydra on the 80psi setting which sees 30psi. No more surge issues. As little use as my truck sees I'm sure it will last many many years.
I have one on my 99. I'm going to put one on my 00 if the $%^&*() travel trailer will stop failing expensive %^&.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts