Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does K&N make a replacement for the 6637 filter. Mine is getting pretty scuzzed up and would rather do a washable filter than having to keep dropping $50 bucks every time I need a new filter.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
dont put a k&n on any turbocharged motor, the suction on the airfilter is much greater than a naturally aspirated engine, therefore it will pull dirt into ur intake and in turn into your engine also, will tear a turbo up in a hurry, i would recommend a S&B filter if u can find one the proper size

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont put a k&n on any turbocharged motor, the suction on the airfilter is much greater than a naturally aspirated engine, therefore it will pull dirt into ur intake and in turn into your engine also, will tear a turbo up in a hurry, i would recommend a S&B filter if u can find one the proper size
Hmmm.. This may not be a turbo, but its very close. I never had a problem.

Oh and that was with 15 psi. and 502 RWHP.

I really cant see one being a problem... :doh:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
that doesnt flow near as much are as a diesel with 25 psi of boost
Or 50 PSI. Some people on this forum are pushing 80 to 100. However the K&N's that have the issue are the drop in factory replacement filters.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I ran a 4'' inlet cone type K&N for thousands of miles with no issues (330K and counting).

I recently went to the 6637 cause I am too impatient to wash them, I just buy new ones and the 6637 is cheaper.

The K&N / 6637 performance wise.....no difference I can see. The K&N uses less space by far than the 6637. If it was exposed to dust all day everyday like a farm truck, I would go with the 6637 for more surface area and slightly better filtration. For normal blacktop driving, the K&N will be fine.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I ran a 4'' inlet cone type K&N for thousands of miles with no issues (330K and counting).

I recently went to the 6637 cause I am too impatient to wash them, I just buy new ones and the 6637 is cheaper.

The K&N / 6637 performance wise.....no difference I can see. The K&N uses less space by far than the 6637. If it was exposed to dust all day everyday like a farm truck, I would go with the 6637 for more surface area and slightly better filtration. For normal blacktop driving, the K&N will be fine.
Same reason I use the 6637. I hate cleaning filters.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hmmm.. This may not be a turbo, but its very close. I never had a problem.

Oh and that was with 15 psi. and 502 RWHP.

I really cant see one being a problem... :doh:
How many miles in the dirt do you drive? Your hotrod probably doesn't see much of that. A lot of us offroad and I do a lot of desert and mtn camping running dirt roads. No way would I run an oiled filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles in the dirt do you drive? Your hotrod probably doesn't see much of that. A lot of us offroad and I do a lot of desert and mtn camping running dirt roads. No way would I run an oiled filter.
Sorry man.. I don't do much dirt driving. Mostly around town/highway. And for the short time it may see the off road I'm sure a AFE would be just fine.

I

·
0 Posts
This topic comes up almost on a daily basis. If your driving in a high dust offroad application I would leave the stock setup on the truck and throw the filter in the trash when it looks dirty. Any oiled filter or open intake system in this type of application doesn't make sense. It doesn't even make sense to spend the money on a good quality drop in because your going to end up throwing it in the trash as well..

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I hate when people post statements like this! Someone ten years ago supposedly “dusted” a motor and blamed it on the K&N filter…….. BullSh!t, It's simply not true. I have been running a K&N filter since 99. I have never had a problem with it. If you keep it clean and oiled it will last a long time and do the job it was intended to do. Just my .02

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
I just don't think the drop-in K&N will filter out dirt like the 6637 can. I know I could have cleaned mine better but, now because of the k&n, I got a dusted, low compression motor now.

I

·
0 Posts
I hate when people post statements like this! Someone ten years ago supposedly “dusted” a motor and blamed it on the K&N filter…….. BullSh!t, It's simply not true. I have been running a K&N filter since 99. I have never had a problem with it. If you keep it clean and oiled it will last a long time and do the job it was intended to do. Just my .02
I could not agree with you more. I have also had a K&N intake on the four diesel trucks I have owned and never had a problem.. It's nonsense.

I

·
0 Posts
I just don't think the drop-in K&N will filter out dirt like the 6637 can. I know I could have cleaned mine better but, now because of the k&n, I got a dusted, low compression motor now.
Okay, bring me up to date here. What is a "dusted" motor?
I wanna know how you figure your K&N wrecked your engine. Keep in mind I am on my 15th Ford truck and my forth Ford diesel.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It pretty much means fine dirt particles are getting into your engine and causing damage to your cylinder walls, lowering compression, eventually ruining it. It will also chew on your turbo. If you test your oil it will show up as silica. Keep in mind Im on my first Ford truck and my first diesel.

I

·
0 Posts
Interesting, I have driven a couple of million miles with a K&N intake istalled over a few years and allways have had good service from them. Maybe taking care of it is the answer.. :poke:

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
The K&N is not made for a dirty enviroment. If your on the road all the time with no dust and dirt then you'll be fine. Not the case for me. Should have taken all the stock intake duct work out and put in a 6637 filter the day I got it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
The K&N is not made for a dirty enviroment. If your on the road all the time with no dust and dirt then you'll be fine. Not the case for me. Should have taken all the stock intake duct work out and put in a 6637 filter the day I got it.
Much simpler, and a whole lot cheaper. Replace it once a year and never worry about it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sorry man.. I don't do much dirt driving. Mostly around town/highway. And for the short time it may see the off road I'm sure a AFE would be just fine.
I know what you mean. These don't see any rain much less a dirt road.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts