Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can find a cheap used K&N intake the intake tube works perfect as does the air box if you are so inclined to use it. I am keeping the air box for now but may cut some holes in it. Don't worry about the clamps, they will be replaced, I just wanted to make sure everything would fit.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
As long as you provide radial clearance..1-2" and the filter is supported should work...Still may end up costing more than a Tymar kit delivered..

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably correct. The K&N and straight piping the stock exhaust was the only thing done to the truck. So for me it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the same set up with the K&N intake (-the box)

Seems to work pretty nice.

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
I'm not wanting to take over this thread but I am going to a little. haha, anyway I put a K & N intake on my 5.0 gas burner and it made a world of difference performance wise but not mileage wise. On the farms pulling pickup we have a straight piped exhaust and have the stock intake but was thinking about putting in a K & N intake will it help performance wise as much as it did on my 5.0? We currently pull a 20 ft Gooseneck stock trailer but here in the summer months we plan on getting a 24 ft Gooseneck stock trailer.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K&Ns are not good for turbo motors. Dirt can be pulled right through them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
(K&Ns are not good for turbo motors. Dirt can be pulled right through them.)

My truck came with a stock [email protected] filter in the stock box! is this a fact that dirt can be pulled right through them! that blows my mind! I know they suck way much more air than NA motors! Man this makes me nervous! should i really be thinking about replacing it? and it came from Texas!!

I

·
0 Posts
Nah, Keep it cleaned and oiled per the instructions on the recharge kit and no worry's. I have had K&N on all my strokes and never had a problem..

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
No stock Ford Diesel has ever had a K&N from the factory.

The K&N element should probably be avoided in turbo-charged applications. The initial filtration efficiency is not high enough to protect the compressor impeller

·
Registered
433 Posts
OBSWIZ sorry about the miss up! ur right! no obs came with a [email protected] from factory! the last owner of my truck lived in texas before moving WI!

I

·
0 Posts
No stock Ford Diesel has ever had a K&N from the factory.

The K&N element should probably be avoided in turbo-charged applications. The initial filtration efficiency is not high enough to protect the compressor impeller
I have had four powerstokes and all of them have had K&N intake systems on them and I have never replaced or had a problem with a turbo. They need to be serviced and taken care of. I don't know of anyone who has had turbo or any other problem due to a K&N intake. If someone starts making holes in the front of there grill (zoodad mod) Then all bets are off with any open filter intake design.

·
Registered
183 Posts
looks good i got one just like it

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you want to take the time searching lots of people have had turbo wheels destroyed and silica show up in their oil..its a fact. I've seen it and so have others..enjoy your searching.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
If you want to take the time searching lots of people have had turbo wheels destroyed and silica show up in their oil..its a fact. I've seen it and so have others..enjoy your searching.
I am one of those people. But i also spent alot of time working in the desert with the truck.

Its true about your wheel getting dusted and everything else. Just have to be careful with the K&N's

·
Registered
450 Posts
i did the same thing with my k+n, works nice.

·
Registered
433 Posts
did some research on this matter! and came a cross some good threads! i think in a sandier climates a person might be better off with a dry filter, i personally don't drive in those conditions here Wisconsin unless where in serious dry drought! and yes we do have road dust! sorry for touching a nerve! and sorry for derailing this thread!

I

·
0 Posts
did some research on this matter! and came a cross some good threads! i think in a sandier climates a person might be better off with a dry filter, i personally don't drive in those conditions here Wisconsin unless where in serious dry drought! and yes we do have road dust! sorry for touching a nerve! and sorry for derailing this thread!
Common sense would tell me if I lived in an area with high amounts of sand and dust conditions year round, I would not install an open intake system on my truck, oiled or dry. I would either leave the stock filter in or maybe install a good drop in for a little more air flow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts