Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, the other night i walk out and my voltage was all the way down to 11.6 and she wouldnt starter after only sitting for three hours. the relay was already starting to give out and stick so i figured it had finally died and so i put in a new one. but now i go to crank even thirty seconds after starting and she still sucks the batts down to just chatter and nothing.......any ideas? i have not yet checked the uvch but im pretty sure that its not that with how sudden of a thing this is and how according to the voltmeter its only dropping when im cranking, starter solenoid? starter feels good cuz it will start when assisted fine and it sounds fine, alternator is also fine....

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Load test the batteries, they are most likely finished.

Another thing you'll want to do is measure that amount of amps drawn on your batteries with the key off.

Dave

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
and have a shop do a load test on the starter with it in the truck, it might be drawing too many amps

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Your post is a little hard to read but it sounds to me like you have a bad battery.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What these guys said. That faulty GPR probably did in one of your batteries. When you have them tested remember to isolate each battery or you could mask a bad battery with the good one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine turned out to be starter. Sounded good but was just old and wore out. Replaced batteries first and that had made no diff

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ight ill load test em at our shop on base and see...makes sense about the bad gpr bein hard on 'em but honestly ive had one, and both, go out on this rig and was a much slower draw. found some fuses today that were blown in relation to trailer lighting so we will see i guess but honestly its such a quick draw, I mean literally seconds after a full warm up and charge with good voltage, nothing.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
if that's the case you have a draw that you are going to have to find. I would disconnect the gpr to see if it changes, if not you will have to start pulling fuses to try to find it.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It could very well be the starter but testing the batteries is free and easy to do. I would start with testing them and if they check out good then look at the starter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
batteries load tested fine......replacing starter when the new one gets here, anyone know of an upgrade? i might as well upgrade while im replacing.......

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
do a search on the starter, there is an upgrade but I don't remember what it's called,

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i pulled the starter, and the housing behind the starter that mounts the starter to the bellhousing was looseish, so the starter itself had about 1/8th inch of back and forth play......... how bad is that? does anyone know the part number for that and or how to replace it>?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
are you talking about the nose cone for the starter- if so that can cause problems, usually not available by itself

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I honestly dont know. I dont think so because its not cone shaped. Ok its not on the starter itself. Its the shroud that the starter bolts up to that basically surrounds the starter-gear and flywheel when they are mated up

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i did some digging on FTE and found that this had happened to someone else, and that part is an adapter plate.....apparently its broke, anyways i got the new starter in and it sounds better and takes less work/time to start it but it is still sucking down damn near instantaneously. I had it running nicely and was about to take it for a spin to charge the battery and then tried to put it into gear and it wouldn't go and then i noticed the ABS light was flashing! the #### has hit the fan! help!

thanks for everything this far guys

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
abs on can be unrelated or could be voltage?
if your hubs/bearings get too much play it can cause the sensor to misread?

just for hoots how old are the batteries, were both replaced or one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
both were replaced in december. not the alternator i get a real time reading on it relative to throttle with the voltmeter, and when she is running the voltage kicks up over 14 with little throttle. might still be nice to replace it. ok so i go and i think i found a fus my buddy and i missed that was blown and replaced it, and it just so happens that it was fuse that controls the abs, cruise and all that stuff so wish me luck everbody im about to try again

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You have a volt meter in your dash and not an ammeter. Your alternator could be putting out voltage with little to no amperage. You may want to pull it and have it tested.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts