Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering doing some upgrades to my stock system in my '08 crew cab.
Right now it's the stock head unit/changer and the 6x8's all around.

My plan is to run a couple 10s in one of these boxes, powered by whichever amp.
Ford F-250/F-350 Crew Cab 08-10 BTS Dual Subwoofer Box - Subwoofer Box | Subwoofer Enclosures | Car Subwoofer Boxes and Truck Subwoofer Boxes at SuperCrewSound

And then if possible, continue to run 6x8s off of the stock head unit.

I eventually want to upgrade the 6x8s but for right now they're fine.

I was looking at this thread:
? on hooking up amp to stock head unit - Powerstroke Nation

Would I need some sort of EQ to make this all work? Basically, I just want to add an amp and subs to my existing system and further down the road add a 2nd amp when I upgrade my 6x8s.

Am I at least headed in the right direction?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Yup your headed in the right direction.

What your looking at in that thread is a Line Out converter, which can come in various stages sometimes including EQ's. That will convert your "High Level" or "Speaker level" signal to a "low level" RCA signal.

With some amps you will note they list a "Speaker level" input. This will essentually do the same thing without the additional converter. However not all amps have this input.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup your headed in the right direction.

What your looking at in that thread is a Line Out converter, which can come in various stages sometimes including EQ's. That will convert your "High Level" or "Speaker level" signal to a "low level" RCA signal.

With some amps you will note they list a "Speaker level" input. This will essentually do the same thing without the additional converter. However not all amps have this input.

Ok, that's starting to make sense. What I'm confused about is how all the wiring is going to work(keep in mind I'll most likely be letting a professional do it). I'm guessing that the wiring coming out of the stock head unit for the speakers is split between front/rear. Is there going to be a separate provision for an amp hookup or does everything need to be run through a preamp EQ first, and then out to the speakers and amp for the subs?

Thanks for the help!

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
thats one of the downfalls with this sort of connection, is that your sub (or whatever the new amp is powering) will be directly linked to either the front or (preferable) the rear channels.

So when you go to fade or balance through the stock unit it will affect the sub. This is while you will want to put it to the rear channels so that if the bass seems over powering you will have easy access to turn it down through the fader in the stock unit.

OR again paying attention to the amp you get, buy one with a remote bass control knob. This knob will adjust the gain on the amp, and you will be able to turn the bass up or down from the comfort of the front seat.

The wiring:

The line out converter will splice into the speaker leads from the HU.

Then from the converter you will run a RCA (interconnect) wire to the input on the amp.

The amp will also need power and ground (size of wire based on size of amp) and a remote turn on lead.

If your gonna have someone else wire it up for you, at a shop, then they will be able to get you what you need. But for your reference and so you got a better idea of what they are talking about, here is a bunch of line out converters, some will be 2 channel (like the one in that thread) some 4-channel, some have adjustable levels, and some include the trigger signal too. Line-Out Converters | Line Output Converters at Sonic Electronix

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
For $200 you can get a decent single din headunit. Not only will this make your subs sound alot better but it will also help clean up the stock speakers. You also have much adjustability this way. You can also use the filter on an aftermarket HU to keep sub-level lows out of the door speakers. Also with running converters you will get voice and high's out your subs. I think it's worth the investment. I like the pioneer, 3 4v pre-outs (front, rear, sub), 7 band EQ, and low/high pass filters.

I would personally go to a round door speaker in the future, I think they sound way better than oval speakers. I have 6.5" components in my truck.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
For $200 you can get a decent single din headunit. Not only will this make your subs sound alot better but it will also help clean up the stock speakers. You also have much adjustability this way. You can also use the filter on an aftermarket HU to keep sub-level lows out of the door speakers. Also with running converters you will get voice and high's out your subs. I think it's worth the investment. I like the pioneer, 3 4v pre-outs (front, rear, sub), 7 band EQ, and low/high pass filters.

I would personally go to a round door speaker in the future, I think they sound way better than oval speakers. I have 6.5" components in my truck.
x2 on what Travis said, although I am starting to think he is getting paid by Pioneer :poke: LOL

I prefer aftermarket HU's over stockers any day of the week. HOWEVER, whatever amp you get will more than likely have some filters on it, you will want a Low Pass filter, set it around 80-100hz and you won't get vocals through your sub, just sub frequencies.

x2 on the round speakers down the road if you do upgrade your 6x8's

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
x2 on what Travis said, although I am starting to think he is getting paid by Pioneer :poke: LOL
:lookaround: I just honestly can't think of a better headunit for $200LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts