Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal JV!!!

Now we just got make a dynatrac day to do the install :D
The week of 17 March works for me if you're free--that's Spring Break and so I would be able to do the work during the week w/o skipping class. Since I work weekends, I can't do it then and the shop on base will probably be less crowded during the week than Sat/Sun.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Whats this dynatrac thing.....whats wrong with our hubs ???

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Whats this dynatrac thing.....
Converts the 99+ super duties to manual locking hubs with serviceable bearings.

whats wrong with our hubs ???

The wheel bearings are not serviceable, rather they are integrated into the hub unit and called a 'unit bearing assembly'.
This makes them very expensive to replace and are designed with planned failure in mind. The dynatrac kit converts the hubs to a manual, stronger, and serviceable design.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh.....Wow thought thats pricey.....How much does it cost to fix a blow bearing if you use OEM parts ????

Poke here is just a link to google ???

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Are the bearings prone to failure........Anyway to check if there on the way out ???

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the bearings prone to failure........
Yes, as are all mechanical components.

Dieselboy said:
Anyway to check if there on the way out ???
With the wheel off the ground, if it wiggles about when you push it at the 12- and 6 o'clock positions, then it's on the way. The same movement is indicative of wonky ball joints, so that's not a definitive test.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Ahhh I see.........Do you think its gonna be a hard install ? Looked at the kit........Beefs everything up, very nice quality

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Can the Dynatrac Free Spin kit be used in the Dana 50 front axle or the Dana 60 front axle ? Which front axle would I have ? What would be the difference between the two axles ? I see the Free Spin kit has the 35 spline axle and would it fit both the Dana 50 and the Dana 60 ?

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
I did the Dynatrac thing about 2 1/2 years ago. I did a rather simple picture diary of the project. You can take a look HERE.

My forum diary from 2 1/2 years ago can be read HERE.

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
The rules must have changed at SDD--you need to be logged in to read anything on the forums there.

Oh well?:shrug::shrug:

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
I have your Webshots album bookmarked since having real-world pictures of the install will help. Do you think it would be worth renting one of the u-joint press kits that Autozone has or should I beat the joints into/out of position with sockets and a mallet like you did?
Using a BFH and some sockets from a 3/4" socket set worked good for the axle joints. But I would find a press for the wheel studs, I broke two vises trying to press those wheel studs in. The studs for the spindle screw in.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Can the Dynatrac Free Spin kit be used in the Dana 50 front axle or the Dana 60 front axle ? Which front axle would I have ? What would be the difference between the two axles ? I see the Free Spin kit has the 35 spline axle and would it fit both the Dana 50 and the Dana 60 ?
Yes, it fits both the 50 and 60 (same kit) on the 99-04 trucks.

On a 2000 SRW you have a Dana 50.

They are 35 spline outers.....with 35 spline Warns. Everything from the u-joint where the inner and outer shafts connects outward is the same on the 50 and 60.

Inner shafts, ring and pinion, and carrier are different between the 50 and 60 but these pieces remain unchanged during install.

50 and 60 also use the same diff cover.

With the Dynatrac Free Spin it is wise to purchase new u-joints and hub studs as the original poster mentions that he did.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts