Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Just installed new E40D and won't idle in drive/reverse.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, this is my first time posting a question on the forum but I've been following for a while. I have a 1997 f350 automatic w/ 4x4 and the 7.3. The transmission went out on me a few weeks ago so I ordered a bts. I just finished installing it and went to run it thru all the gears. It idles perfect in park and neutral, but if I put it into reverse,D,1, or 2 it idles below 500 rpm and runs real rough. I checked all of my electrical connections, fluid (19 qts), the torque converter and flexplate rotate.... What am I missing? What would cause this? Thanks for the help.

-Patrick

#2 ·
Of course the flex plate and torque converter rotate. They are bolted to the end of the crankshaft. If the engine is running they are rotating.

I think you'll need to get a 0-350 PSI gauge with a 1/8" NPT thread. Install it in the test port on the side of the trans. Record the pressure in P, R, N, D, 2, and 1 at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.