Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Just bought a 2008 6.4. Mileage driving from Texarkana to Memphis was 15mpg...a little hard to swallow considering my 7.3 was 19-20. So which one first - tunes or a dpf/cat delete pipe? I would like to get my mileage back up first. I'd like to get both but I'll be taking it slow because I also think I have a leaky radiator (even though the records shows one was replaced earlier in its life.)

I'm pretty excited about having it but a little concerned due to some of the complaints so I will probably be going slow.

Thanks

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
only real way to bump mileage is getting rid of the dpf and some sort of a tuner, most seem to get the best mileage on the bigger tunes but improvements can be made with smaller or even canned SCT tunes, I recomend eric at innovative or spartan.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I should look into a package deal. I'm leaning towards the spartan so maybe the tuner first then the pipe. I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
congrats on the new truck!

Let us know what you decide on.......SPARTAN!!!! subtle hint

Im in Olive Branch.......if youre not up to doing the install yourself hit me up, my best friend owns an exhaust shop where I got mine done.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The only real way to improve MPG is thru a tuner and pipe. The SCT is a great starting point to stop the regen and get a pipe install, but the Spartan has a bit better platform for higher hp tuning if you choose later down the road. As far as your radiator issue, the are TSB's from Fords related to repeat radiator failures. It is very possible that your new radiator is bad again, have the dealer look into the thermostats and make sure the venturi tee has been installed. Give Aaron or I a call if you need any help, if you get me the VIN I can check what was really done by the dealer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feel free to give us a shout as well, we can set up a package deal with everything you are looking for.
Thanks I'll probably do that after I get the Dealer to do as much of a check over as they can do:doh:

Im in Olive Branch.......if youre not up to doing the install yourself hit me up, my best friend owns an exhaust shop where I got mine done.
Thanks for the welcome. Were neighbors. I live in Lewisburg. Your friend would'nt happen to own the shop there on Hacks Cross would he? I'm good with the exhaust though. As a matter of fact at least for the first year or so I was hoping to set up a minimal type situation where it would not be to big a hassle to quickly remove and return to stock.

The only real way to improve MPG is thru a tuner and pipe. The SCT is a great starting point to stop the regen and get a pipe install, but the Spartan has a bit better platform for higher hp tuning if you choose later down the road. As far as your radiator issue, the are TSB's from Fords related to repeat radiator failures. It is very possible that your new radiator is bad again, have the dealer look into the thermostats and make sure the venturi tee has been installed. Give Aaron or I a call if you need any help, if you get me the VIN I can check what was really done by the dealer.
Thanks for the information. I've kinda got different statements from different dealerships about the radiator deal. The only thing they all agree on is that even if this is the second one since my truck has 40k the 3/36 will not cover it. I'll take you up on that VIN check. I'll send you a PM.

Also, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole EGR thing. I know it means Exhaust Gas Recirculator or something like that. But what I dont get is how it allows coolant to enter the crankcase when it fails...what the hell is coolant doing their in the first place!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hey,
Do you use Homer Skelton? Have they seen ANY of your mods? What do they say about them?

Thanks
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts