Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just studded my 6.0, buttoned everything up and it seemed to run well, no misfires no CEL with the exception of a vibration that you can really feel in the steering wheel right at 3200 RPM's. It is RPM based only and will do it while driving and while revving in the driveway. I did do the 7.3 fan clutch swap and used an ebay adapter with a hayden fan clutch. Could either of those be unbalanced or not straight and true, causing vibrations?

But anyways, the main issue. I drove the truck about 5 miles and came back home to figure out the vibration issue. Revved it in the driveway a few times and shut it off. On start up the injector clatter didn't seem right and when cranked over and started it was missing badly.

Shut it off and when i tried to restart it only 1 or 2 injectors seemed to clatter and it'll crank with 1 or 2 cylinders popping off until I stop cranking.

What gives? FICM sync is there and FICM is reporting 47-48 volts. I should mention that my middle FICM plug clip is kind of weak but i tried fiddling with it and nothing changed. I ordered a new FICM harness which should be here on Friday, but I'm looking for other opinions as to what could be the issue.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
First thing I would do is make sure all of the connectors are actually on and secure for the injectors. That vibration is possibly an injector. I know usually it shows up at all sorts of RPMs, but I've also seen it happen only at certain RPM. If all that is ok, and you're sure the FICM connector is secure (I've had to zip-tie one on for a guy whose clips were toast), run a contribution test. This feels like, at least on the surface, either an electrical issue (as in a bad connection) or an injector issue. Eliminate the obvious, easy, and cheap/free things, pull codes, work from there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would do is make sure all of the connectors are actually on and secure for the injectors. That vibration is possibly an injector. I know usually it shows up at all sorts of RPMs, but I've also seen it happen only at certain RPM. If all that is ok, and you're sure the FICM connector is secure (I've had to zip-tie one on for a guy whose clips were toast), run a contribution test. This feels like, at least on the surface, either an electrical issue (as in a bad connection) or an injector issue. Eliminate the obvious, easy, and cheap/free things, pull codes, work from there.
I thought the vibration was a injector issue, but it comes on at exactly 3200 RPM's while driving or while revving in the driveway. I'll rev it to redline and let off the gas pedal and it'll continue to vibrate all the way until it drops back down below 3200.

I'll put the electrical fan clutch back on and see if the vibration goes away once I get the truck back up and running. I'm hoping it's just a FICM wiring harness issue, I'll try replugging all the connectors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small update today, I unplugged all 8 injectors 1 by 1 and found that only injector 3 was clicking during the KOEO injector clatter. As well as the FICM itself has 2 broken clips and the harness has 3 broken clips, 1 per plug. I tried plugging the harness in and manually holding the plugs in place with no change.

Any ideas? There is no way I killed 7 injectors in under 5 miles is there?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
Those connections need to be solid. It could be multiple injectors, but I would start with a new injector harness and sending your FICM to FICMrepair.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those connections need to be solid. It could be multiple injectors, but I would start with a new injector harness and sending your FICM to FICMrepair.com
Other than low voltage, do FICM's go bad in other ways? It has a strong 47-48 volts, and I literally took it out of the truck and placed it on a table, until I reinstalled it. I'm not sure how that could damage any of the internals.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
Yes - low supply voltage can kill the logic board as well as the power board. It is a computer and it is much more than a 48 volt power supply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well another update, it would seem that I've smoked 7 out of 8 injectors. Plugging injector #1 5 and 7 plug into injector #3 still causes it to clatter on KOEO. Plugging injector #3 plug into 1 5 and 7 injector does not cause any clatter.

I pulled injector number 3 and plugged it into plug 2 4 6 and 8 and it clattered on KOEO.

So, I'm getting proper signal to the plugs, the problems lie in the injectors. How did I kill 7 out of 8 injectors after driving for only 5 miles after studding my truck? A bit of water did drain down into the oil passages when I pulled the head but I didn't think anything of it and was going to change the oil after I had a confirmed successful stud job.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It's still running though, right? If it's still running, they're not toast. Lack of clatter, but still running, to me would seem like a sign of stiction. Do you run Archoil or Rev-X? Might be able to revive them with that. On the severe side, people have been known to be able to polish the slide valve in them. But, if they're no longer working for sure you may have fried the coils on em, perhaps due to a bad FICM or for other reasons. I would check those with a meter to be sure. Too much to guess at here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's still running though, right? If it's still running, they're not toast. Lack of clatter, but still running, to me would seem like a sign of stiction. Do you run Archoil or Rev-X? Might be able to revive them with that. On the severe side, people have been known to be able to polish the slide valve in them. But, if they're no longer working for sure you may have fried the coils on em, perhaps due to a bad FICM or for other reasons. I would check those with a meter to be sure. Too much to guess at here.
The truck does not run. It's a crank no start situation. The out of the 8 injectors only number 3 was clattering on KOEO so the spool valve mechanism must have gotten jammed or seized or something on 7 of them. This seems to be beyond stiction.

I'll take them all apart and inspect the spool valve and see if they can be saved.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Not being an arse, but I just re-re-read your first post and realized I had missed a part, so I want to make sure I understand correctly. You went from running fine except for the vibration above a certain RPM. You shut it off and restarted it, and then it was running like crap, possibly missing a few cylinders. You shut it off and then it wouldn't start anymore. Is that correct?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not being an arse, but I just re-re-read your first post and realized I had missed a part, so I want to make sure I understand correctly. You went from running fine except for the vibration above a certain RPM. You shut it off and restarted it, and then it was running like crap, possibly missing a few cylinders. You shut it off and then it wouldn't start anymore. Is that correct?
Correct. It ran fine and I drove it on the highway 4 miles, came back to the house, revved it in the driveway a few times, then shut it off. Tried to restart it, noticed the injector clatter was a little odd and fired it up and it was missing on several cylinders. Killed it and turned the key to the on position again and it clattered with even fewer injectors. Key off and back on and only 1 injector was clattering and it then wouldn't start.

My only guess as to what happened is either water from the cooling jacket or debris from stoning the block surface got into the oil and that contaminant messed with the spool valves. I was going to change the oil after I confirmed the head stud job was a success and I guess in that short 5-7 mile drive the injector spool valves got contaminated and died. Can't really think of any other reason.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ok, yup....with what you're describing happened, I'd say they all crapped the bed. And yeah, I hate to say it, but it sounds like you may have identified the reason why...I don't think it would have been the water, but stoning the block and rinsing that off creates a lot of fine bits of metal that get into your oil. If that filter wasn't working properly, all that gunk could have done this. But, I'm not 100% sure that's the cause. Maybe pull the spool valves apart and take a look at em? Have you put a meter on the coils to make sure they're ok? I think they're supposed to be 4 ohms.

If you come to the conclusion that it was indeed the contaminated oil that cause this then you've got work to do. I know this is going to sound crappy, but if it were my truck and I had that in my oil, I would pull the oil cooler, drain and rinse the oil cooler, suck out all the oil in the HPOP reservoir, pull the HPOP, blow out the supply tube for the HPOP, remove the oil rails, and then using air pressure would blow out the oil from the branch tubes. When there wasn't enough left in them for it to pour out, I would add oil through the HPOP J-tube and apply air again. As for the oil rails, drain, fill with some sort of solvent/cleaner, get all the old oil out, and let it dry. After all that was done, I would then drain the oil. Oh, and with the outlet facing down, maybe slowly turn the HPOP to get any crap out as well. It's a lot of work, and a pain, but if you suspect contamination from the head job got into the oil and you didn't change it, this may be the only way to salvage things. But, hopefully you find something else which gives you a definitive fail reason, or perhaps sends you in a different direction....like if all the coils are burnt out, that would lead me to believe the FICM went bad and fried em all.

Let us know what else you find. Wishing you luck!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
I would also take an oil sample and have it analyzed. I use Blackstone.

Reactions: cfherrman

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, hopefully final update. I pulled all 8 injectors and cleaned/sanded the spool valve and the plunger underneath the spool valve housing. Reassembled everything and changed the oil and filter and now she's running perfectly. No misfire CEL's at all.

Also, the vibration from the fan clutch that I was feeling initially was from the ebay fan adapter. Got a bulletproof diesel adapter and everything is smooth now.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
And you changed the oil I hope? Honestly, I would probably change it twice, the second time at like 100 miles....but that's just me.

Glad it's working again. Keep us posted!

Reactions: bismic1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts