Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have much Power Stroke Diesel (PSD) experience, but I do know a friend that had a lot of glow plug issues with his '88 Navistar 7.3L IDI equipped F250.

We're currently considering the purchase of an '04 F250 with the PSD. Is the glow plug system still an issue with the PSDs in this age group? And, if not, how did Navistar get around it?

We live in the Berkshires, so cold engine starting is pretty important around these parts.

Thanks for your time,
TW

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Glowplug issues are virtually non-existent on a 6.0l.

FICM injector stiction are them main problems with hard starts/no starts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The IDI and Powerstrokes have completely different glowplug systems. IDI's system is controlled by glow plug resistance measured by the controller whereas Powerstrokes is by the PCM

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't have much Power Stroke Diesel (PSD) experience, but I do know a friend that had a lot of glow plug issues with his '88 Navistar 7.3L IDI equipped F250.

We're currently considering the purchase of an '04 F250 with the PSD. Is the glow plug system still an issue with the PSDs in this age group? And, if not, how did Navistar get around it?

We live in the Berkshires, so cold engine starting is pretty important around these parts.

Thanks for your time,
TW
Here are some things to check on when buying used:

About to get a 6.0 2003 what should I look out for? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I also suggest taking it (what ever you buy) to good shop and have them check a few things above and beyond the list.

Check FICM readings (test FICM when cold)

Take for drive and check temp spread between ECT and EOT no more than 15*f spread on this.

Take something to go shopping with.

Scangauge II

Edge Insight.

Then you will have gauges for what ever truck you buy.

There have been folks out shopping that have taken along a Scangauge II and have found temp difference of 30* and higher. Instant repair needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts