Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How dows one know if your trans is bad or going bad? How does a guy tear one up? Does daily driving and getting on it once n a while tear one up? Just curious what one could do to one to tear the bejesus outa one?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
depends how many miles you got oyu should put that in your sig too:D

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOPs. sorry bout that.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just need to know what these trans can take without falling apart is all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine holds fine with whats in my signature. Not sure on how long it will last, but its working fine now. I havent got my new BDP chip in yet, but the trucks been chipped for 30k. It slipped before I put the VB in it though. I dont beat on it much, but I get on it every now and again. I will be getting a BTS if/when I get some different injectors

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Just curious what one could do to one to tear the bejesus outa one?
Just throw it in reverse doing about 40mph or so...that normally will do a tranny in pretty fast! Normal everyday driving wont mess your tranny up too bad, it will get the normal wear and tear but just keep the oil chnaged. a good way to get a jump on a weak tranny is to smell the oil when you check it, if it smells burnt then you know things are slipping a little....

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
I've got 202k on mine, 50k of that has been lifted, heavy towing (dragging around 21k lbs behind me) and modded. No slips, shifts are firm, whole truck acts like it will see 300k without being gotten into. I don't hit the drag strip or anything like that..I play around town occasionally, but it's mostly a pavement queen/tow pig!

·
<---Beer version of PMR's
59 Posts
The weak point in the 4r100 is the tq converter. The input, intermed., and output shafts are very strong, don't see them broken much unless very high hp. I think the best things to keep a stocker alive is put a valve body on it from BTS or JW, a good trans cooler, good fluid, and run good tuning. Then put a good converter in it, or if you can afford it do a full BTS or John Wood. If running stock inj., I think do the cheap tricks first.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Then put a good converter in it, or if you can afford it do a full BTS or John Wood. If running stock inj., I think do the cheap tricks first.
You going to consider what the cost to cut the TC apart, clean it, weld it back together and balance it again? Cost me about $400 last time. I would never mate a used trans with an expensive TC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts