Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take the truck to the dealership for yet another junk slave cylinder. Just had it replaced about 7 mths ago, but it is again going out already. Have to get a new alternator while I'm there as well. Had it checked the other day and it's showing a weak reading.

Ok, back to my original post..... is there someone who makes a better slave cylinder set up for the ZF6 aftermarket? My warranty is going to expire before the end of this year, and I know the junk plastic crap they replace it with will most certainly die on me again right after my warranty is no more. Is there a set up out there that's durable and actually lasts longer than 8 mths, and that doesn't cost half as much as my truck did? Or are we just doomed with nothing but plastic hydraulics?

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
What is it doing to make you think the slave cylinder is going out? What are the symptoms?
I would think something else is failing within the clutch/pressure plate and the dealer does not want to get into a $900 clutch job under warranty so the cheap easy thing to do is pacify you with a $110 slave cylinder.

·
PSA
566 Posts
yeah they shouldnt be going that often.

sounds like throwout bearing prehaps

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've wondered the same thing myself. I've always heard the slave on these trucks was junk, and it does go out quite often, but I didn't think twice in less than a year was realistic.

From a stop, it's hard to shift into either first or reverse. That's the symptom. Last time, a new slave fixed that. Was doing the same thing then. I still say my synchros are going bad, but they won't just open that tranny up to see on their own. I get a catch shifting between 2-3, and 3-4, almost like the gears aren't lining up.

This is the same trans that I had in a 2000 model, but it shifted so much smoother than this one. I wouldn't think that a different motor behind it would make that big of a difference you know.

Is there a way to actually get them to check the rest of the trans? I know all they are going to do is replace the slave and send it back to me. I've never really dealt with dealerships much in the past as far as service, so I don't really know the secrets to get them to actually do what needs to be done while under warranty. I know once my warranty is up, and something else fails, they'll find all kinds of things wrong with the trans then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i got a steel one at car quest. it was like $65....

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Easy way to differentiate between hydraulics and internals - slide under the truck and put a ruler or tape measure next to the end of the clutch fork. Have an assistant work the clutch to the floor. IIRC, the "normal" movement is about 1/2" at the end of the fork. If it's less than that, the hydraulics or pedal assembly are at fault - not pushing the fork far enough. If there's about that much fork movement, but there's still difficulty engaging (and esp. if the vehicle "creeps" with the clutch down), that suggests an internal issue like worn fingers on the pressure plate.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck does not creep at all. I'll measure it today when I get home. Truck isn't going to the dealership until Monday afternoon.

What would cause the "catch" when shifting between some gears? I wouldn't think that would be a bad slave because it still did it after I had the new one installed last time it was at the dealership. I don't think there are any issues with the clutch itself.... no slipping, no chatter, doesn't slip at all. Could it be synchros?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped it off this afternoon. Said they wouldn't get to it until Wednesday. Told him about my trans issues and he just looked at me crazy like I was speaking Japanese or something. I'm sure they'll just put on a new slave and tell me it's fixed. Oh well we shall see. I just hate being without my truck!!!

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Mad posted a good way to tell if it's the hydraulics. They suck, yours could easily be bad again.

My "new" master/slave cylinder came apart on me this last saturday and it's maybe two months old. These are a pain to bleed out, bench bled or not!

Good luck anyway, post up what you hear from them.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I meant to measure that before I dropped it off, but it rained here both days leading up to Monday afternoon, so I never got a chance to. I'm sure the slave is indeed bad again, but I still say there's more to it than just that. I shouldn't be getting a catch between every shift. That's just not normal.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, went and picked it back up from the dealership yesterday. They couldn't find anything wrong what so ever. Alternator showed over 14 volts. Autozone is the one who initally checked it and said it was putting out a weak charge. Should have known better than to listen to them.

They said the slave was fine and working properly. Trans guy drove it around town and said he didn't feel anything out of the norm. Got him to ride around with me when I picked it up, and of course I couldn't make it do anything bad. Shifted perfect, no catches, went into 1st and reverse with ease. Funny how that always seems to happen huh! Then, the first light I stopped at on the way home, it had that catch shifting in every gear from 2nd-4th. Go freaking figure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts