Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some pros and cons of running this stuff as well as mixing instructions for whatever additives are needed. I can get this stuff for free just need to know the possible side effects. Thanks in advance

Leadsled

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm sure Tank will chime in, believe I remember him talking about it before in a thread.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
It's a completely dry fuel. No lubricity.

Dunno how much that would affect a 6oh system. But I wouldn't run it in a 7.3, or 24V or 12V's.

An old trucker told me once that I'd be fine if I dumped a quart of oil in for every 15 gallons...

IMHO though, there is a reason that army humvee's run like chit. And that reason is JP8.

·
This We'll Defend
1,549 Posts
It's a completely dry fuel. No lubricity.

Dunno how much that would affect a 6oh system. But I wouldn't run it in a 7.3, or 24V or 12V's.

An old truck told me once that I'd be fine if I dumped a quart of oil in for every 15 gallons...

IMHO though, there is a reason that army humvee's run like chit. And that reason is JP8.
Or it could be that dogass motor that sits up front. The MRAP and LMTV/FMTVs run off JP8 and they will haul ass.

·
This We'll Defend
1,549 Posts
Point taken. It did get a little better once the uparmored hummers came around but they still left something to be desired

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
If you've ever driven an older one with a fresh motor in it (rare as a V in alabama I know) then it's pretty obvious that JP8 ain't doin the high hrs/miles models any favors.

Think about how ACFT tugs and JD Gators and what not are runnin after about a year or less of the army runnin 'em on the most available fuel, JP8.

Tears 'em up, unless they have an exceptional motor SGT payin attention to the fuel, making sure joe's ain't puttin JP8 in 'em.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Umm, Oshkosk MRAP uses a Caterpillar C7 Heavy Duty Diesel, 6-Cylinder, Fuel-Injected Turbocharged and Aftercooled, EPA Certified - nothing special there. Fuel types: Diesel, DF-2, JP-4, JP-8, VV-F-800.

LMTV -
Caterpillar 3115 ATAAC, 6.6L, diesel, 6-cyls, turbo-charged intercooled
bore: 105mm, stroke: 127mm
power: 168kW (225hp) at 2600rpm, torque: 863Nm (636lb-ft) at 1600rpm
Fuel types: Diesel, DF-2, JP-4, JP-8, VV-F-800.

FMTV - Cat C-7 again.

You can run JP-8 straight - but I would personally add a 1/2 quart of 2-cycle to every tank (30gal) of fuel. Just to keep the pump and injectors with a little lube.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've worked on a 06 F550 that belongs to a fuel supply company at our local air port. The truck is not registered so they can't leave the airport to fill it with diesel so it runs on straight JP-8. This truck just idles around the air port all day and never sees over 2000 RPM. In just 7,000 miles the EGR was fully clogged with carbon, it was lighter in color and very dry. Also when enough fuel had leaked past the rings into the crankcase the gasket under the oil cooler and the front cover gasket started pouring oil. The gaskets where brittle and flat. Straight JP-8 would be a bad idea, but I would try it with a good amount of 2-cycle or AFT added to every tank. Also delete the EGR for good measure.

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
I've worked on a 06 F550 that belongs to a fuel supply company at our local air port. The truck is not registered so they can't leave the airport to fill it with diesel so it runs on straight JP-8. This truck just idles around the air port all day and never sees over 2000 RPM. In just 7,000 miles the EGR was fully clogged with carbon, it was lighter in color and very dry. Also when enough fuel had leaked past the rings into the crankcase the gasket under the oil cooler and the front cover gasket started pouring oil. The gaskets where brittle and flat. Straight JP-8 would be a bad idea, but I would try it with a good amount of 2-cycle or AFT added to every tank. Also delete the EGR for good measure.
I bet the injectors don't last long without the lubrication.

He is in Cali so a delete could be a problem...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading all of this I am not gonna do it after all. Emissions is no problem for me but it just doesnt seem worth the headache to run the jp-8.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Gotta add something to it, it runs hotter as well we were running this in our fire truck in Iraq n burned the motor up.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Everything I've read about it on all of the alternative fuel sections/forums I'm on says to NOT run it at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts