Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
MacAssassin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm saving up right now for a John Wood tranny being that he's located closer to me on the west coast. I called bts 3 times and no one seems to answer. i tried calling beans to ask some ? about the bts tranny and left a message and no one ever returned my call. John called me back in a timely matter and answered my questions and was very knowledgeable which was greatly appreciated.

So i want to hear from people that have a john wood tranny and hear how they like them, and what tranny of his they have.

·
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
367 Posts
I have John's Towmaster trans in my Excursion. Got it a few years back and it's working flawlessly.

You'll be happy with John's product. He does more custom machining of hard parts in his trans than anyone building transmissions, and he does it all himself on his lathe.

It's just my opinion, but I think he builds the best 4R100 money can buy. When it comes time to replace the 4R100 trans in my F250 and my Lightning, John will be the only one considered.

Stewart

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
In no REAL order:

John Wood
BTS
Diesel Innovations

All others are pretty much junk.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm a BTS dealer and 1/2 hour from you..A JW trans equal to a BTS will cost more.

·
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
367 Posts
I'm a BTS dealer and 1/2 hour from you..A JW trans equal to a BTS will cost more.
Wrong. People that know both transmissions know the scoop.

Stewart

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
To the OP,

I have been to John's shop, and still made the DRIVE to BTS. I just felt for MY hard earned money, BTS was a better choice for me.(I needed the vacation anyway)

Before this thread turns into another pissing match. Make you own mind up. I know what my BTS cost and what it can handle. I never priced out a JW, with knowing what it would need to handle.

Marc

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I answered the post as a BTS dealer as the OP couldn't get in touch with BTS. Hindsight I should have just PM'd

Please don't take what I said as anything against John at all! I know John well and highly respect him. We have a business relationship.

He has 4 levels of trans builds and they are priced apon what he does to them based on the customers HP and usage. Please call him and discuss his builds or pricing.

Cary

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
hmmm it took about 2 weeks for a return call from john but when I called Brian to ask a few questions he answered on the second ring.

BTS all the way.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Wrong. People that know both transmissions know the scoop.

Stewart
Please elucidate. Factor in the rebuild cost of the 2nd or maybe the 3rd transmission seeing as how Brian will rebuild them for nothing as long as you own it. IIRC, BTS is $4100 so what is JW's top of the line worth?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Hey guys.How hard do the Jw and BTS trans shift? Will they break the tires loose on shifts.My homebuilt will but I always wondered if I set mine up to shift to hard.I am running stock injectors/tire size,and was told it was ok to run hard shifts on low horsepower trucks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hey guys.How hard do the Jw and BTS trans shift? Will they break the tires loose on shifts.My homebuilt will but I always wondered if I set mine up to shift to hard.I am running stock injectors/tire size,and was told it was ok to run hard shifts on low horsepower trucks.
When I bought his VB, it came with a shifter plate that you could adjust for firmness. Do you want it to shift hard? If so, either of them should be able to do it. HOWEVER, please realize that your other components may not like it as much. Also, the chip can do some of that.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Both JW and BTS will adjust the VB's for your HP..I'd let them deside on how it shifts as said above hard shifts takes its toll on other parts.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Both JW and BTS will adjust the VB's for your HP..I'd let them deside on how it shifts as said above hard shifts takes its toll on other parts.
I wasn't looking at buying a BTS or JW. I was just curious as to how firm they shift.Most builders go way to soft for my taste.My shifts are smooth and quick under light throttle and will break the tires loose hard on the 1-2.

·
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
367 Posts
Please elucidate.
Jock D posted this over at FTE.

Depending on your horsepower, you may be smart to add higher strength parts like input shafts, etc. It appears that BTS just puts all that stuff in every transmission, while JW adds only what you need for the horsepower/use.
Here was my response. I find it fairly appropro to answer your question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not correct.

John puts more new stuff in his rebuilt trans, regarding his entry level "Towmaster" 4R100, than Brian does in his rebuilt trans.

John has Zane at Wide Open Performance cryo a lot of the "hard parts" found in the 4R100. John does more custom machining to the transmission than probably anyone who rebuilds 4R100's, including Brian. John also does all the custom machining himself, in his shop, keeping the cost down. Brian has his machining done by an outside shop. That's NOT a knock on Brian, just pointing out that John does all his own machine work.

For his converter, John buys brand new 6.0 converters, cuts it open and has some of the parts cryo'd at WOP. He uses hardened splines and modifies the clutch, then puts a billet cover on it.

The different "levels" of transmission builds John advertises comes from using higher priced parts. For example, the cost of a billet 300M intermediate shaft (instead of using a cryo'd shaft), is $900 bucks. At least it was the last time I checked.

Almost a grand for one part alone.

If anyone wants to know exactly what John does to his trans, just call him. He'll tell you everything about his trans. There's a lot of stuff I'm sure I left out, like bearings John uses nobody else does, specific snap rings to fit custom machine work he does on his lathe, etc.

I just don't want people thinking John chinzes out on his builds. People who have seen a BTS being built and John building a trans know.

I'm not knocking Brian's build in any way. I'm just standing up for Johns build, making sure the wrong info isn't accidentally posted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factor in the rebuild cost of the 2nd or maybe the 3rd transmission seeing as how Brian will rebuild them for nothing as long as you own it.
JW's build will last just as long as a BTS, if not longer. But because everything mechanical breaks down, it won't last forever. When I asked John about that, he told me not to worry, that when it broke down, he'd take care of it for me.

He stopped short of giving it a "lifetime" warrantee, but then again, even with a lifetime warrantee, what are you gonna do in 10 years (12? 15?) when the trans finally quits and the guarantor has possibly retired and no longer has a shop?

IIRC, BTS is $4100 so what is JW's top of the line worth?
Compare apples to apples. Johns entry level trans will more than match Brians $4100 build he sells to the general population.

Stewart

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
JW's build will last just as long as a BTS, if not longer. But because everything mechanical breaks down, it won't last forever. When I asked John about that, he told me not to worry, that when it broke down, he'd take care of it for me.

He stopped short of giving it a "lifetime" warrantee, but then again, even with a lifetime warrantee, what are you gonna do in 10 years (12? 15?) when the trans finally quits and the guarantor has possibly retired and no longer has a shop?

Compare apples to apples. Johns entry level trans will more than match Brians $4100 build he sells to the general population.

Stewart
We have seen several examples of guys being taken care of after 2 yrs is up. Dockboy has had 6 done in the last 8 yrs, IIRC all for free except when he broke the case. I haven't read of anyone yet that has shown that JW has done that.

Well, if you put it that way, why 10 years? You could say that an accident could kill everyone in the shop tomorrow and my lifetime warranty is worthless. Same as with JW.

It is apples to apples since Brian only tweaks the settings between one trans and the next for whatever application you run, AFAIK. So whether you have a stock application or what Dockboy runs, it is the same trans except for the tuning.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A couple of issues back, Diesel Power visited John's shop and had a 3-4 pg write up on his builds if anyone is interested.

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
So just so I am set straight. BTS has a life time warrantee but JW does not?

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
So just so I am set straight. BTS has a life time warrantee but JW does not?
neither does, but neither have ever been known to turn a customer down. i believe JW has 3 year unlimted mileage. i would buy either, without question, i would specifically base my purchase off of location, convenience, and comfort level. but talking to both, you will quickly know they are as good as it gets, and the both like, and respect each other's ability from what i know. you cant go wrong either way IMO.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts