Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
3521 - 3540 of 3578 Posts

·
Native Californian
582 Posts
Actually, the humidity during monsoon is a real PITA.

First, the sun reflects brightly off the roof coating. Like being in a roaster oven.

But - you cannot work in the morning because dew is on everything on the roof. Grrrr
Yes roof work is a royal PITA. I absolutely have to wear sunglasses and even then it's tough on the eyes. Humidity you say? Surely you jest LOL. I miss Arizona for the very reason that humidity is usually very low, unlike Texas where a shower is pointless because you're soaking wet all day long.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,522 ·
Yes roof work is a royal PITA. I absolutely have to wear sunglasses and even then it's tough on the eyes. Humidity you say? Surely you jest LOL. I miss Arizona for the very reason that humidity is usually very low, unlike Texas where a shower is pointless because you're soaking wet all day long.
True about Texas, but it is monsoon right now and the humidity runs about 80%, then dries.

·
Native Californian
582 Posts
I miss monsoons too. I know, call me crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,524 ·
🤬 Damn me all to hell!

The 99 has been running fine, when it just quit while leisurely driving and won't start.

Hydra was blank, and the "Wait" light won't illuminate. Acts like "no start" mode.

WTF? 🤬 🤬

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Check fuse 22 and fuse 9. Before replacing fuse 22 use a volt meter and check for a short to ground. If shorted... look at the fuel bowl heater.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I believe that it is fuse # 30 in a 99.

#22 is the fuse for the OBS trucks

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax and BBslider001

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Oh true...

·
Native Californian
582 Posts
Yup, sounds like the infamous #30 fuse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,529 · (Edited)
OMG, you guys are such a wealth of information!!

It was indeed the infamous fuse #30. 30A PCM Relay, Fuel Heater, Wastegate solenoid, Injector Driver

. . . Now, what causes this to blow? The Fuel Heater? If not that, what? (PS, it's still dark, so I am waiting a little.) EDIT - Definitely a short to ground at the fuse.

@cjfisher - # 9 is not used in the L99.

Reactions: heavydoc

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
# 9 is not used in the L99.
Yeah.... about that. It was a Monday right?! :LOL: In the OBS it is fuse 22. My first suspicion would be the fuel bowl heater. They are known to move and short out on the housing and pop goes your fuse.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,531 ·
Unplugged the fuel bowl sensor, checked the wire plug for short to ground - none.

Put in the new fuse, checked for short to ground. None. Fired her up.

Why the blankity blank do they have the PCM and the fuel bowl heater on the same circuit??

I will install a separate fuse in the wiring, I think. 🤬

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,532 ·

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,533 ·

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,535 ·
Nothing gets replaced. Unplug the fuel bowl heater and tape wrap the plug with 1/2 roll of tape to prevent it from ever shorting out again, and forget about it.
You don't need it
And if I am traveling in the frozen north and get caught in a storm? :)

·
PSN intsigator
7,469 Posts
Unless you are staying in -20* or colder for extended periods of time, you don't need it. I was at constant -30 below for 3 months in ND and just used Howes fuel treatment. Didn't have a fuel bowl heater. Didn't need it

·
Administrator
666 Posts
Agreed.
The fuel bowl heater on my 88 has been disconnected for over 30 years. The only time that truck did not start was the day the batteries "bricked" on me.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
If the fuel heater is your problem the upgraded one for the 99+ years is a lot better than the original one.

However, when mine went and I was sitting on a road between nowhere and no place it wasn't the heater itself but the thermister that goes through the housing. When the fuse blew and I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart I noticed that I didn't have the lights when I turned the key on to start. I hopped out unplugged the heater on the inside of the bowl and grabbed my fuse box and replaced the fuse. Hopped back into the truck turned the key on and it popped the new fuse. This ticked me off since that was the only 20 amp maxi fuse that I had. I hoped that it wasn't anything else so I unplugged the wire on the side of the bowl and replaced a 20 amp fuse with a 15 amp. The 15 amp held and I was on my way again.

The only problem was that 60 miles later when I was in a even more remote spot I lost a idler on the serpentine belt. I put the belt back on and made it another 250 miles home with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,540 ·
Y'all behave yourselves. I'll be off-grid for a few days.

3521 - 3540 of 3578 Posts