Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Jax' 99 F350 7.3L Truck rebuild . . . .

163K views 4K replies 24 participants last post by  cjfisher 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings, all;

I have been looking for a HD - any make - to pull a bigger travel trailer but all I find is a lot of people too super-proud of their vehicles with 200k+ mileage. Therefore, I bought this to build my own - the engine is a literal basket case...

1999 FORD F-350 SD LARIAT Ext Cab LWB 2WD
7.3L V8 OHV 16V Powerstroke . . . Orig mileage 245083
5 speed 6 speed manual transmission

I want to build the entire power train - I suspect the rear is not limited slip - and want to fix everything Ford did not do right when it was built. I want to make it as efficient as possible in AZ's 120F heat to the northern regions.

I have rebuilt small block chevys, two motorcycle engines, but this is my first time on Ford and rebuilding a diesel (although I have worked on them).

Thank you all for all the wisdom posted on this website.

Best recommendations for aftermarket upgrades?

Attachments

See less See more
#3,944 ·
Well, dang it, how much work is it to repair the clutch push rod? I don't see a hole in the clutch lever pedal to put this through. I just stepped on the clutch and it went to the floor, and laid there. Kind of like stepping on a plum.

I can't feel what is supposed to be on the clutch pedal up under the dash. I tied it with parachute cord to get it home.

Camera lens Camera accessory Auto part Lens Cameras & optics

#3,945 ·
Shot this from a YouTube video. How big of a pain in the arse is this going to be?

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Gas

#3,950 ·
I am getting codes that all kinds of dash lamps are out. How hard is it to replace them?

I'm a little afraid of pulling the dash apart, given the way plastic cracks in a heartbeat in Arizona.

#3,952 ·
I get codes for them, and have never seen them lit. Does that count?

#3,953 ·
Dang it, I forgot to pick up the relay!

B1575 Lamp Park Input Circuit Failure
C1223 Lamp Brake Warning Output Circuit Failure
B1323 Door Ajar Lamp Circuit Failure
B1475 Accessory Delay Relay Contact Short To Battery

#3,954 ·
Oh, well, ordered relays with Door Ajar thingy.

#3,955 ·
Dang it, the wind is blowing cold air off the mountain!

All the snow melted, but I am NOT working outside.

So, I repaired the Kenmore sewing machine table and sewed a few things.

#3,957 ·
I thought y'all had given up, apparently I have been unsubscribed from everything.....

Jax, on the IPR oring issues, are you making sure you get lube all the way around and underneath that oring before you install? I much prefer grease to oil on an oring for that reason.

Random thought on the cruise, have you checked the switch on the parking brake? The one that is supposed to turn the light on in the dash when the park brake is applied. ( Maybe that light being inop. could cause it too?) It should have a clutch switch also, could be related to your pedal disaster, but I doubt it since it was starting.

All food for thought, I'm going to thaw out by the wood stove.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

#3,959 ·
Hiya, Blue!

Jax, on the IPR oring issues, are you making sure you get lube all the way around and underneath that oring before you install? I much prefer grease to oil on an oring for that reason.
Yes, and I have some 100% silicon grease just for O-rings. My last one that went south was a sealed-in-the-bag Motorcraft.

Random thought on the cruise, have you checked the switch on the parking brake? The one that is supposed to turn the light on in the dash when the park brake is applied. ( Maybe that light being inop. could cause it too?) It should have a clutch switch also, could be related to your pedal disaster, but I doubt it since it was starting.
I have quite a few lights on the dash that are out. Even have the codes for them. The clutch safety switch is new, but it made no difference.

I did the mod for the brake booster connection. No joy.

#3,960 ·
I am not a happy camper. Those pics I posted? I don't have that piece that bolts up there. I have to drop the entire #$%^&*(!! Clutch Pedal bracket!

#3,961 ·
YHGTBFKM!!! This is all they have on removing the Clutch Pedal
Font Parallel Slope Pattern Line art

!

#3,962 ·
In #2 above, there is a C-clip retainer on a pin that goes all the way through the clutch pedal hinge.

This pit HITS THE SIDE WALL if you push it through. Clutch hinge is still stuck on the freaking pin.

Suggestions?

#3,966 ·
I don't see the brake pedal attaching to the clutch pedal support. I have the top nuts off of the studs -- My picture shows (I could not tell while I was looking it it) that there are bolts going through the firewall? As the hexagonal openings holds the two bolts from turning, I must presume there are nuts on the other side? I could not find them! (one bold head is hidden behind bracket.

Then again, the sun is going down and cold-azz wind was blowing up my pant leg, so I quit early.

Automotive tire Bumper Personal protective equipment Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

#3,967 ·
I am thinking I could remove the C-clip from the other side of the pin, but I don't think I can get the pin past the wire harness.

#3,971 ·
Thank you so much, Tom! This was awesome!

But how did he get the pushrod out of the clutch master cylinder?

#3,969 ·
THANKS! Bullshit that you can get just the pedal out. You can't pull that pin.

Hopefully tomorrow, it will be warmer. I don't know why I couldn't see the nuts.

How did he get the clutch push rod out?

#3,972 ·
So, clutch pedal and support removed. ^ I don't understand how the push rod fell off! ^
^This wasn't worn at all!^ [Sarcasm font designated by ^]

Automotive tire Wood Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

Water Wood Gas Nut Metal

#3,973 ·
So the thing is welded in. A bit of overkill, I'd say!
Automotive tire Wood Tire Rim Bumper

Took me 10 minutes to get here!
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Wood Bumper