Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 2222 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Jax,

Do some research on transmission oils. I have read that the Fords recommendation of using ATF in the ZF6 (and ZF5) may not be the best choice. RoadRanger recommends a synthetic mineral oil (PS-386) for their transmissions that I would actually be tempted to use in the ZF5 if had I kept that transmission. The RR stuff is pricey stuff for sure. I'll take a pic of the jug I have this evening and post it.

Cj
Yeah, I have. Everyone keeps talking about the higher viscosity fluid for the 2006 and above. I will also ask the transmission rebuilder what they recommend.

All-in-all, I am pleased with what I have found in the truck.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, the leading contenders For the ZF6 transmission oil are

Motocraft Mercon V

Redline MTL

Castrol Transmax Mercon-V 06068 not synthetic

Royal Purple Syncromax

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ford made some change in Mercon-V for the automatic clutches that they said could make transfer cases lock up. So they offered a fluid for transfer case and transmissions only. Now they have discontinued that in favor of LV auto trans fluid for all manual trans and transfers.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Turbo, exhaust choices

I am tentatively choosing the KC38r turbo with a 4" stainless steel exhaust.

Again, I am looking for a solid, reliable, long-lasting tow truck preferably with good MPG.

Too much?

What injectors would one pair with this?

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
Get rosewood or swamps injectors. 160/0's or 160/30's. Great choice on the turbo.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, fudge. Transmission is dropped, but how to get out from under the truck?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
Yeah just a 4" is fine. Jamo fits pretty good and is good priced.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah just a 4" is fine. Jamo fits pretty good and is good priced.
Y'all keep talking about the exhaust pipe -- what about the manifold? Do I stay with the stock manifold?

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
Stock is fine. Use gaskets when you go back in. Up pipes I would buy bellowed ones. I bought the dorman ones and they fit ok. I would test fit them on the turbo before hand or buy international ones. But they are $400 vs $150 for dorman.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Just a word of caution, any exhaust related fasteners, I highly recommend a healthy coat of anti seize.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
Not to completely throw a wrench in the process but have you looked at any t4 setups. Your close to the same price after getting a new pedestal and up pipes. The sxe 364.5 would be a good size with the injectors I recommended. Plus you can sell of some of your old parts to make up the difference. If your an e99 the turbo parts are smaller and you have to buy other parts to get the KC turbo to fit.

Post up a pic of you spider for the turbo and I can tell you what turbo you have.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Re: Jax' 1999 F350 7.3L Truck pedestal, spider, etc.

Not to completely throw a wrench in the process but have you looked at any t4 setups. Your close to the same price after getting a new pedestal and up pipes. The sxe 364.5 would be a good size with the injectors I recommended.

Thank you, I will research.

Plus you can sell of some of your old parts to make up the difference. If your an e99 the turbo parts are smaller and you have to buy other parts to get the KC turbo to fit.

Would you please define "early" 99? The truck manufacture date is 12/98.

Post up a pic of you spider for the turbo and I can tell you what turbo you have.
I may take a while getting a picture. Right now, the parts are carefully wrapped so they do not get dusty or damaged.

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
What size are the plenums on the heads?

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
So the early 99 aka e99 has some different parts vs the L99-03 trucks. It's a high rabbit hole. I thought the e99 trucks ended in March of 99 but I'm not sure. Plus they where using up parts so you could have a mix of e99 and L99 parts. It would be best to read up on a few e99 threads.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Plus they were using up parts so you could have a mix of e99 and L99 parts. It would be best to read up on a few e99 threads.
Gee, thanks; You just made my head hurt. . . . :doh:

41 - 60 of 2222 Posts