Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, CJ!

I sprayed off my transmission tag and it seems to be gone. :(

Is the xmsn serial number stamped anywhere?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jax,

I'm no help on the transmission tag or serial #.. As for clutch... that clutch you linked to is a Stage 3. That is going to have a HEAVY (read - hard to push the clutch petal) pressure plate and a grippy friction plate to handle the torque and power a really souped up truck will have. That clutch is for someone really reving up and letting it out. With normal starts that stage 3 will be really jumpy. You would be better off looking at a stage one like https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/1944-6OK-7880/. Incidentally - I've pulled 21k (trailer + load) across town before with an old Luk clutch and a worn out friction plate so that stage 1 should pull quite a bit.

Cj

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the insight, CJ!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome... Though I'd say there are guys on this forum that could easily run circles around my knowledge of these motors/trucks.

Cj

·
Registered
4 Posts
IIRC Southbend has three stages, number 2 is what I have, good for around 400 hp over stock.
It needs their flywheel for installing.
There MAY be a version using the stock flywheel too.
The clutch requires less bedal pressure than stock too.

Touchy forum, will not allow me to post link. So to hell with them

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ken,

You need at least 10 posts... then you can add links. Or you can do something tricky like leaving spaces where the Dots should be.. When I was looking at Southbends site they have 4 levels then they jump to a level 6 which is a multi-plate competition setup.

Cj

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good morning, all; thank you!

The flywheel and clutch surfaces look new - no marks. Whoever let them get wet and sit should be shot! :mad:

C'est le vie . . . .

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
So your axle code is a d1 from your door sticker. That means it has a 3.73 with a limited slip. The luk clutch will be ok for stock power but I would up grade it. I had a stage 3 and it was so heavy and grabby. I now have the dual disk and love it. It’s expensive at $1350. It’s rated to 650 hp. Don’t forget to replace the clutch fork and pivot ball.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Jax' Pistons

The first piston is the piston on which the ring broke and pinged around on top.

The "cleaned" piston is the previous owner's attempt - I think he may have used a sander.

The third picture is what the rest look like. The "shiny parts" are from him drilling or milling and the particles fell into the piston box.

The block is wrapped in plastic for the trip to Tucson. There is no scoring in the cylinders, and i have not looked at the heads, yet. I expect, from my fully calibrated fingernail, that the ridge at the top of the cylinder will require it to be bored .001".

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go for the bearing... All the roller bearings/bushings I've seen and messed have caused problems. Pistons look great.. a little sanding and some paint and you should be able to throw them back in >:).

Cj

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Machine / rebuild shops chosen

I'm taking the block, heads, etc to https://www.larrysengine.com/

and the ZF-6 transmission to Lloyd's Transmission,

both of which are in Tucson, on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
The clutch fork is known to break and then you have to pull the trans to replace it. The clutch kit comes with a pilot bearing, you can upgrade it when you check out.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
Also don’t just look at hp rating but it also has a towing weight rating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Also don’t just look at hp rating but it also has a towing weight rating.
Yeah, I'm as concerned about HP as I am about reliability and longevity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Re: Jax' 1999 F350 7.3L ZF6 Transmission

I drained the oil from the tranny. While it is red against a white background, it came out black as sin!

I'd post a pic but all the files are 1.5MB.

Anyway, it is black-black-black, but there are no little sparklies on the bottom. So, good sign! :grin:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jax,

Do some research on transmission oils. I have read that the Fords recommendation of using ATF in the ZF6 (and ZF5) may not be the best choice. RoadRanger recommends a synthetic mineral oil (PS-386) for their transmissions that I would actually be tempted to use in the ZF5 if had I kept that transmission. The RR stuff is pricey stuff for sure. I'll take a pic of the jug I have this evening and post it.

Cj

21 - 40 of 83 Posts