Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2901 - 2920 of 3133 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Leveled, 5” exhaust, ww38, 6637,
74 Posts
The backhoe was probably a small one. I got 11 MPG when I pulled the forklift (the forklift weighed in at 13500#) I purchased home. Gross weight was 27400#.

Cj
I was never given a number on how big it was, “a big backhoe” was the term used.

Heavydoc was just giving me a frame of reference what he got with the engine in question at 24400#

Regardless of that being exactly as heavy as a truck trailer and backhoe, it is in the ball park, and the mileage is way less than the claimed 24 mpg of the Cummins boi.

·
don't play well w others
4,639 Posts
Interesting weights. Ya'll know truck and trailer over 26,000 requires a class a cdl with a medical card to drive. RIGHT?
Reason I say that, just had to go pick up a truck and trailer for an acquaintance last week. Got pulled over by the DOT and they shut him down. Fines for wrong licence, overweight, no Dot number for truck over 10,000 lbs, and no medical card. Truck also has to have a name and phone number on the door. If not for hire must say so on truck
I told him to go to court

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

edited by 1970something to fix Charlies fat finger typo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting weights. Ya'll know truck and trailer over 25,000 requires a class a cdl with a medical card to drive. RIGHT?
Reason I say that, just had to go pick up a truck and trailer for an acquaintance last week. Got pulled over by the DOT and they shut him down. Fines for wrong licence, overweight, no Dot number for truck over 10,000 lbs, and no medical card. Truck also has to have a name and phone number on the door. If not for hire must say so on truck
I told him to go to court

I’m in Texas, and our regular license is 26,000. Also, you can get away with anything short of murder with farm tags on a trailer so long as you aren’t being dangerous on the road down here.

And a CDL is on my short list for all the reasons listed.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
I’m in Texas, and our regular license is 26,000. Also, you can get away with anything short of murder with farm tags on a trailer . . .
Where in Texas?

I saw the hail on the news. Just steady rain in SA.

Reactions: BBslider001

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,906 ·
Sorry, meant "where are you in Texas"?

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
don't play well w others
4,639 Posts
I’m in Texas, and our regular license is 26,000. Also, you can get away with anything short of murder with farm tags on a trailer so long as you aren’t being dangerous on the road down here.

And a CDL is on my short list for all the reasons listed.
CDL is federal. My mistake on weight.26,000. I typed wrong.
Guess I need to stop answering on this forum too for stating leagle facts.
Bye

·
PSN intsigator
7,288 Posts
CDL is federal. My mistake on weight.26,000. I typed wrong.
Guess I need to stop answering on this forum too for stating leagle facts.
Bye

No worries some states are different. I know AZ was 25,999 and below was regular license with med card. NC is 26,000. Not sure why its different, just interpretation I guess

Reactions: Jax

·
don't play well w others
4,639 Posts
I can tell you we got an overweight ticket in NC in our 33,000 lb Pete rollback with 10,000 combo TT tags. Truck weighed in at 27001.
The state does Not recognize the tags on tow trucks.. they said it was a non cdl truck at 25,999.
Big ticket, big fine, had to pull a permit to go home.
Tt tags aren't a tag in NC. Who would have thought that a tow truck wouldn't be leagle with tow truck tags.

Truck has weighted tags now but it is not leagle to tow for hire In the state it is registered in.

Sorry for side tracking your thread Jax. Just trying to point out just because it will pull it down the road dont make it leagle

Reactions: Jax

·
PSN intsigator
7,288 Posts
I can tell you we got an overweight ticket in NC in our 33,000 lb Pete rollback with 10,000 combo to tags. Truck weighed in at 27001.
The state does Not recognize the tags on tow trucks.. they said it was a non cdl truck at 25,999.
Big ticket, big fine, had to pull a permit to go home.
Tt tags aren't a tag in NC. Who would have thought that a tow truck wouldn't be leagle with tow truck tags.

Truck has weighted tags now but it is not leagle to tow for hire In the state it is registered in.

Sorry for side tracking your thread Jax. Just trying to point out just because it will pull it down the road dont make it leagle

Right, I was shocked to find out here my truck has to be registered to cover the weight of truck, trailer and load. It gets very pricey

·
Administrator
92 Posts
in nu yawk bridge laws tag axle is not recognized unless it is 12 foot from the steering axle.
so while we are legal at 80,000 lbs on streets, we are only allowed 53,000 lbs on bridges. that means i can only carry 11.5 ton over bridges, but 25 ton on the roads to and after the bridge.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well since the convo Is going this way.....

If your a commerical tagged truck and the gvwr is over 10000, a cdl driver needs to log it and all cdl things apply, this is why 3/4 ton trucks are in higher demand that 1 tons.

If your total weight is over 26,000, you need a class b cdl, if your total weight is over 26000 and your trailer is over 10,000, you need a class a, there are around 7 enforcements (air brakes, tanker, etc) and restrictions (automatic, tractor trailer, glasses, etc). You can have a truck with a 10,00 tag and a trailer with 14,000 tag and not need a cdl, this is how my truck and trailer is configured. (Not the bucket truck trip, that was a 22000# trailer)

In the whole us 80,000 total weight will get you over interstate and federal highways, there are states with increased weight max and state highways do what they want as well. There are special places as mentioned that have limits on these roads, typically listed.

If you have a dually or a 1 ton truck and a big trailer such as a backhoe capable trailer, a real backhoe not one to get good mpg with, you will get pulled over by dot and a ticket. If you have a 3/4 truck and also don't have any sort of commerical tag or business stickers your pretty much gtg.

Getting a cdl with a pickup and trailer will be a class a cdl, but with automatic and tractor trailer restrictions, so you can't drive a semi.

States issue their own licenses including federally regulated cdl licenses, and all states give reciprocity to other states, even though they are not legally required too. A cdl in texas costs $2500+, one here in kansas, $45.

At least in kansas your pickup tag only has the cover pickup loading and tongue weight, so my 10,000 gvwr truck has a 12m tag (12,000), so my 7800# truck would need a ton of stuff in the bed plus way more that the 1500# gooseneck tongue weight to be overweight, then my trailer has a 14m tag, (14000#)

I've had my cdl for 16 years, air brakes and tanker. Missed my chance before restrictions were created to get class a with pickup and trailer.........

·
Registered
857 Posts
Right, I was shocked to find out here my truck has to be registered to cover the weight of truck, trailer and load. It gets very pricey
I would call the highway patrol and the county treasurer, I was told by many people that this was the case yet when talking to both these people (in kansas) it is not the case, you only need to tag for truck loading, not the trailer weight and trailer load.....in kansas

·
Administrator
92 Posts
here in New Jersey we only have to run a log if we go more that 100 air miles from home base.
the farthest i go is southern Connecticut, which is only 91 miles from the shop. so even though it is across two state lines, i do not have to run a log book because it is a one day a year deal, and under the 100 air miles.
i also have apportioned plates, so i am legal in all contiguous 48 states

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well since the convo Is going this way.....

If your a commerical tagged truck and the gvwr is over 10000, a cdl driver needs to log it and all cdl things apply, this is why 3/4 ton trucks are in higher demand that 1 tons.

If your total weight is over 26,000, you need a class b cdl, if your total weight is over 26000 and your trailer is over 10,000, you need a class a, there are around 7 enforcements (air brakes, tanker, etc) and restrictions (automatic, tractor trailer, glasses, etc). You can have a truck with a 10,00 tag and a trailer with 14,000 tag and not need a cdl, this is how my truck and trailer is configured. (Not the bucket truck trip, that was a 22000# trailer)

In the whole us 80,000 total weight will get you over interstate and federal highways, there are states with increased weight max and state highways do what they want as well. There are special places as mentioned that have limits on these roads, typically listed.

If you have a dually or a 1 ton truck and a big trailer such as a backhoe capable trailer, a real backhoe not one to get good mpg with, you will get pulled over by dot and a ticket. If you have a 3/4 truck and also don't have any sort of commerical tag or business stickers your pretty much gtg.

Getting a cdl with a pickup and trailer will be a class a cdl, but with automatic and tractor trailer restrictions, so you can't drive a semi.

States issue their own licenses including federally regulated cdl licenses, and all states give reciprocity to other states, even though they are not legally required too. A cdl in texas costs $2500+, one here in kansas, $45.

At least in kansas your pickup tag only has the cover pickup loading and tongue weight, so my 10,000 gvwr truck has a 12m tag (12,000), so my 7800# truck would need a ton of stuff in the bed plus way more that the 1500# gooseneck tongue weight to be overweight, then my trailer has a 14m tag, (14000#)

I've had my cdl for 16 years, air brakes and tanker. Missed my chance before restrictions were created to get class a with pickup and trailer.........
Great info!

Only bit I’d like to comment on is a Texas CDL isn’t nearly that much. I don’t know what all the hidden costs yet are, but CLP is $25, then CDL is $97. You also have to keep a physical on file with DOT which comes out to like $50 a year if you go to the right doc.

I haven’t delved into the endorsement stuff yet, and don’t know the costs associated with that.

My biggest hurdle is finding a rig to do it in.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Tx cdl does not require class time?

Kansas has the 100 mile rule too, but I would bet you money that does not work into a different state

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tx cdl does not require class time?

Kansas has the 100 mile rule too, but I would bet you money that does not work into a different state
I don’t think so. Mom and Noni are both bus drivers and the only classroom they’ve ever talked about was for ISD specific stuff.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,920 ·
Dang, that CDL stuff is involved. Bet your insurance costs are spectacular. 😳

2901 - 2920 of 3133 Posts