·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,762

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,763 (Edited)
So . . . . Just what is the proper response to this? Do I put it back together? Or should I buy I new?

What "blew" that the IPR Spacer and Tinnerman nut are off and it is leaking oil?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,764
Uh, no . . .. Actually, it just leaked oil.

But HOW did it leak oil?

·
don't play well w others
4,579 Posts
at least yours is from a seal Jax.
mine is from a rust hole in the bottom of the oil pan.
From the truck being so low to the ground hauling around that big fat guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
PSN intsigator
7,233 Posts
So . . . . Just what is the proper response to this? Do I put it back together? Or should I buy I new?

What "blew" that the IPR Spacer and Tinnerman nut are off and it is leaking oil?

View attachment 203721
Replace with new, Motorcraft or International only. Good time to solder on a new pigtail too. I've gotten mine from RiffRaff Diesel and Amazon. Just make sure it is a Motorcraft if you go the Amazon route. How did the meet up with KC turbos go?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,770
Replace with new, Motorcraft or International only. Good time to solder on a new pigtail too. I've gotten mine from RiffRaff Diesel and Amazon. Just make sure it is a Motorcraft if you go the Amazon route. How did the meet up with KC turbos go?
Have a new one on order. Put the old one back together, and it is not leaking.

KC Turbos is Thursday.

I did plug the red line to the waste gate, as advised by Alex of KC, and the turbo seems to be showing more boost. Still, not over five in normal driving and acceleration. Since I don't know the truck, I don't know what "normal" is.

Reactions: heavydoc

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Leveled, 5” exhaust, ww38, 6637,
31 Posts
I’ve found that Solder seals are a game changer when you aren’t very good at or dislike wiring (like me).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Still, not over five in normal driving and acceleration.
I don't really see over five with ordinary unloaded driving either. I pretty well max out at 11 to 13 psi.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,773
Thanks, @cjfisher ! That's good to know.

On the bright side, good chance you just found why it was surging at idle. Maybe it was just helping you diagnose.
I do believe you are right! Fairly harmless failure that was easily fixed.

Oh, As I am going to Phoenix and Apache Junction . . . My AC quit when the engine ran away.

New Compressor, Dryer, oriface tube, etc. :mad:
Oh, BTW . . . The Tinnerman nut and spacer fell off when I was getting my AC charged.

I now have AC in the truck and ready to go to Phoenix!

And the oil is still as clear as water . . . damn it, because I cannot always tell where it is on the stick!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,774 (Edited)
So, how hard is it to replace an output seal on the ZF-S6 transmission?

·
don't play well w others
4,579 Posts
Pull drive shaft. Pop seal out. Grease inside new seal. Put new seal in. Put drive shaft back in.

Don't ask about the input seal. It will hurt your feelings

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,776
Pull drive shaft. Pop seal out. Grease inside new seal. Put new seal in. Put drive shaft back in.

Don't ask about the input seal. It will hurt your feelings

Yeah, Bu!!sh!t. I know how that "remove x" works . . . .

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,777
Drove the Ford to Phoenix and back (434 miles) . . . oil is still super clear!

Went to KC Turbo in Apache Junction - nice bunch of guys, proud of their work and very concerned about their customer! Their follow-up and warranty support was splendid.

They tested for leaks and sure enough, I had one on the left Plenum boot . . . Brand new boots when I built the engine and Riff-raff Plenum inserts.

We won't talk about the vacuum hose 90° elbow that cracked when I swapped the turbo and I tried to quick-fix with heat-shrink tubing . . . . (whistling . . . .)

We swapped to the Riff-Raff boots and sealed up everything. The boost jumped up but still . . . it is my driving right now that doesn't produce all the boost . . . After all, the engine still doesn't have 10K on it and that is what I am waiting for. Then I will take the travel trailer to Colorado and climb the mountains!

I am very happily satisfied with KC Turbos! I suspect I was the someone that sooner or later has the one part that wasn't right, but KC came through the best anyone could wish.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice! That is good to hear... I can proceed with my turbo upgrade now. What boost level are you seeing now?

Cj

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,779
Nice! That is good to hear... I can proceed with my turbo upgrade now. What boost level are you seeing now?

Cj
Please remember, I AM still breaking in the engine, so not stomping on it . . . much . . . but I did punch it a little in the "Aggressive Street" Tune and it ran up to 19psi . . .

Otherwise, the CST (reading the MAP sensor) is showing 3 - 5psi in normal driving. AZ has many hills.

Reactions: BBslider001

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,780
Oh, BTW . . . The Tinnerman nut and spacer fell off when I was getting my AC charged.

I now have AC in the truck and ready to go to Phoenix!
Oh, by the way . . . NAPA AC compressor, accumulator, orifice, etc . . . @heavydoc can appreciate what this means - 95° in Phoenix, and the AC was trying to chase me out of the truck! brrrrrrr

2761 - 2780 of 2812 Posts