Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2401 - 2420 of 2425 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Got to thinking about your parking brake, throwing info out for future reference. The problem I normally encounter is after running in the snow or slush or whatever, someone steps on the parking brake then it won't release. If unnoticed it can result in burnt off rear brake shoes. If you get in the habit of stepping on the pedal, pulling the release, and letting the pedal up easy, you can feel it when the cables stick. ( I make it a habit year round so it doesn't beat the dash.)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
Brake shoes are inside of the calipers. Its a horrible design. The backing plate is a air funnel to keep the disc cool. Water gets in there. Eventually the backing plate rusts out and the shoes come loose. . In her case the water got in and locked the shoes open. I'll be surprised if she has any shoe left

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,403
:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
I think we talked about this in my build thread.
picture of backing plate on the ground

Shoes

On the inside of the backing plate there is a adjustment wheel just like the old school brake drums. Only difference these do not self adjust

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,405
Any recommendation for the shoe? and the brakes? I haven't checked them yet.

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
i don't use parking brake. i use a chunk of 6X6.

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
First before tearing anything down. Look at the backing plate especially where the pin comes through to fasten it to the plate. If it's rusted out you found part of your problem.

I got my shoes and kit from rockauto. Backing plate came from a1auto. Can't find that link right now, but if you need it I'll pull the file. To do the backing plate you have to pull the hub and axle, so you will need an axle seal

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,408
Another inane question. I understood my truck to have a limited slip differential.

However, when I pulled in for fuel, I had an interesting time departing in the snow. The right wheel kept spinning and spinning . . . .

Is there something wrong with my rear-end? 🤨

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
nope. with age the clutches deteriorate.
a trick i use with 2 wheel drive vehicles:
when conditions are slick like that, make your own "traction control" by gently apply the brakes with gentle throttle. the brakes will slow down the spinning wheel and trick the differential into sending power to both wheels.

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
Put a bottle of Motorcraft friction modifier in the rear. Wont fix it but will help

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
when conditions are slick like that, make your own "traction control" by gently apply the brakes with gentle throttle. the brakes will slow down the spinning wheel and trick the differential into sending power to both wheels.
Or could be her parking brake is hung up on the other side.
Put a jack under the rear turn both wheels. Hopefully both turn. Open rear 1 tire goes forward 1 goes backward.

Limited slip both turn in same direction
The modifier is still good to add. As bad as the engine was I doubt maintainance was looked at on the rear

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,412
I already changed the fluid in the rear and added the modifier.

Thanks - I'll jack it up.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,413
How hard is it to replace the clutches?

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
I won't do it. Special tools. Lots of swimming and measuring. Too many things to go wrong.
Exhaust all other possibilities first

Reactions: heavydoc

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
never thought of one side brake hanging. good call.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
Lmao. Weld the spools.

Reactions: tjctransport

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
Burrrnnnn