Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2381 - 2400 of 2424 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,381
Well, I chickened out. I spent forever today getting the forward cooler head gasket off, then cleaning the engine. I finally used my fingernails.

Anyway, the sun was setting and while I had time to install the cooler . . . if something went wrong, I'd have been in the cold and dark for a while.

I gave that up when I left the Army . . . . ;)

Did I mention that I did not remove the lower radiator hose? I have no problem working in there. It's nice to be small. :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,382
The Beast Lives!

First, I'd washed my coveralls. I went to pull them out and found I'd not moved them over to the dryer, damnit.

So, out to the shop to get another. As I am putting them on, the leg seam gives way. REALLY?!?!
So, inside I go. Sew it up. Start to put them on, and see another suspicious seam. Yeah, I ended up sewing both sides of both legs.

Back to work. Surprisingly, it went in well. Got all the bolts started. Of course, they were too hard to turn with my fingers and too loose for the ratchet. Grrr. I tightened a little more than the 18 ft-lbs, maybe 25 ft-lbs.

No leaks yet.

Are there any other bolts I should put a wrench on? I'm still rather miffed at how loose the bolts were.

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
I'm with Jake. I always retorqued exhaust at least twice on a new build. I didn't follow my own rule on my 94, now I have a header gasket ticking at 1,000 miles

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
don't play well w others
4,474 Posts
I usually use copper gaskets, but forgot to order them. Had some leftover mr gaskets from another project. Lets just say they dont make things like they used too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,387
Hmmmm . . . . :unsure: I think I mislead you . . .

The book refers to the two ends of the oil cooler as the front oil cooler header and the rear oil cooler header.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,388
But so far, no drips!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,389
Wonderful things about the truck:

It took the hills, towing the travel trailer, and never slowed down!

Even the lousy towing mileage was way better than the Tundra's.

It fires up in single digit weather.

I do not like single digit weather.

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
did you ever get heat?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,391
did you ever get heat?
Yes! I used the old actuator -- plugged in the hinge turner, but did not snap it in place. I could use it to close the blender door and got heat into the cab.

Reactions: tjctransport

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,392
New Question! Can one freeze the parking brake?

It didn't hold the truck and trailer in our Frozen Hell of Cascade, NM . . .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yes! I have water get into the park brake cable and freeze it stuck.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,394
Well, the truck did fabulous. Me, not so much. I am definitely a fair weather traveler.

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
yup, as cj said if water gets into the cables they will freeze tighter than a clams ass out of water.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,397
Really happy to hear that you made it home safely.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Wait, did I say that?

Murphy was still lively . . . Trailer tire shredded just this side of the AZ | NM line. #$%^&*(

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97

·
Administrator
9,022 Posts
Jax, i think you have been hanging with me and charlie too long, and our good luck started rubbing off on you. 😁

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Wait, did I say that?

Murphy was still lively . . . Trailer tire shredded just this side of the AZ | NM line. #$%^&*(
Yes, but you are home in mostly one piece, right?

BTW, I think you are sharing your luck, I spent the day before yesterday on foot broke down in that [email protected], then yesterday replacing my new front main seal. You can stop with the voodoo thing now, I'm good

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,400
Oh, Blue, man, I am so sorry!

Yeah, I'm calling it a day.

2381 - 2400 of 2424 Posts