·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #841

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
Ouch. Can't afford the billet plenums right now. I could get the inserts.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
All the YouTube videos about plenums look like the plenums have a screen inside them to catch "stuff". Mine do not have this screen. Is this an issue and what can I do about it?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
If you have a "delete" pedestal, you do not have an exhaust back pressure valve. What, then, do you do with the connection to the sensor? And the sensor itself? Short it? Leave it open?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
On the plenums, I can't give you a definitive answer, is the screen made into the gaskets? My thoughts are that the charge air cooler usually is sufficient to catch all the pieces if the turbo explodes. Wouldn't sweat it too much.

On the turbo pedestal, the "deleted" refers to the deleted exhaust back pressure valve. Saves many oil leaks. And exhaust leaks. If by "sensor" you are referring to the plug at the turbo itself, that is for the actuator. It powers the solenoid that operates the valve. You can unplug it, or if you wish, Dieselorings sells a resistor that can be hooked across that plug to fool the computer. Unplugged, it just sets a code, I don't think it turns the engine light on.

If by sensor you mean the exhaust back pressure sensor, which is hooked into the passenger side exhaust manifold by way of a metal tube, install and hook it up as normal. Be sure the tube is not obstructed inside. The computer reads that, and you can watch it on your snazzy new edge monitor, if I remember correctly about you buying one.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
The plenums are fine. Remove the sensor out of the old pedestal and plug it into the harness. It keeps you from having a code.

·
Native Californian
382 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a pretty substantial one. Are you guys doing alright up there? News has been absolutely worthless recently.

News is always worthless. Where ya been? :D

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
News is always worthless. Where ya been? :D

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No kidding!

Been running my fanny off, that time of year. Sticking around the southwest mostly though, been a strange year.

As an added benefit, not getting tapajoke notifications, so haven't been ignoring y'all on purpose.

Unless of course that was a rhetorical question, in which case I've been ignoring the news slightly less than usual....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
#$%^&*( :mad:🤬

Looks like someone replaced plenum bolts with others. From what I see, the plenum bolts need be only 1/2" long -- do you guys agree?

I have only three of the short ones. The others extend into the block or don't screw in all the way.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
Not so that I can tell. They are M8-1.25 and 12mm long.

Going into the heads - assume 25 ft-lb for torque? nothing in the book.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Maybe the PNS (previous numb skull) used lots of washers?

Cj
Thanks for the idea! I used a bunch of washers to put the plenums in place. When the bolts I ordered come in, I will swap them out. The RTV will be well set and sealed by then.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just tossing it out there Jax, I think I'd be inclined to just live with the washers rather than disturb that RTV again. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
don't play well w others
3,855 Posts
I'd probably wait until I had the proper fasteners.
Hope I'm not too late. I agree with jake

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
Hi, all. Slow moving this morning. We had a Search and Rescue call-out yesterday.

Not finding what is fabulous about bellowed up-pipes. Seem same size as regular ones. ?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Does this fuel line bracket hook up here on the Plenum?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #859
I have three holes covered with yellow tape on the valley side of the heads. I do not know what goes into them. Please, can you help? Sensors?

Drivers' Side

Passenger Side

Both sides

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
Last but not least --- With a gas engine, we leave the spark plugs out and turn the engine over to get oil to all the parts. Do you leave the glow plugs out to do the same?

841 - 860 of 1109 Posts