Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Native Californian
364 Posts
Here they are....before and after. I pulled these completely out of the truck, hung it on the tailgate, steam washed, and reinstalled after a day of drying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,115 Posts
The truck is powered off the starter relay on the passenger fender.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Thanks, Sbluke!

Whooohoooo! I pimped my ride!

(Stainless Steel Nerf Bars)

And yippee, I have my tranny back!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Someone is really pissed at me for moving the furniture and cleaning the carpet.

So she goes on to make me feel bad. If the furniture were in place, she would be lying there beside me.

·
don't play well w others
3,740 Posts
Lol. They are territorial

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Of all the things to suddenly hit me -- I do not believe I have a dipstick nor a dipstick tube in my parts. :oops:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
@Sbluke55 Do you have an egt sensor installed? If so, where, please? Picture?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Yet another question! Motor mounts - do you unbolt the engine and lift it up, or do you unbolt the mounts and leave them on the engine? Book is not clear.

·
don't play well w others
3,740 Posts
Leave the mounts on the engine,
This is a 5.0 I just built, you can see the motor mount under the header.

Also, look for a tin plate that goes on back of the block, under your flywheel. Motor plate is VERY important

·
Super Moderator
8,115 Posts
Yeah I have an egt. It’s in the drivers side exhaust manifold towards the back. I have to do my oil cooler orings tomorrow so I’ll get a pic tomorrow.

That thin piece of metal that goes between the engine and trans is not made anymore and you can’t buy it aftermarket. So hopefully you have it.

Here is an eBay link for one. Ford 7.3 power stroke ZF6 adapter plate | eBay

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
I believe I have it - have already cleaned it and readied it for install. Is this it?

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,355 Posts
I've tried leaving the mounts in the truck while pulling a 7.3 (cab on) before, does not go well. Lol you end up taking them out with the engine...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,115 Posts
That is it jax. Glad you have it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just for reference Jax, I've also heard that called a starter locater plate. It fits over the dowel pins on the rear of the block, and ensures that the starter comes out in the same place every time.
( As opposed to shimming until it sounds right like a Chevy)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Today's trivia question -- what are these?

·
Super Moderator
8,115 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Did I mention the pictures in the Ford Workshop manual suck?

So,do these mount on the engine, and then to the engine mounts?

The WS manual uses the same picture over and over and it sure isn't any clearer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
One more . . . FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants

Synthetic Blend MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid is a high-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company. It was developed for use in the newer electronically controlled automatic transmissions built after 1989 and power steering systems built after 1998 requiring MERCON® V or MERCON® fluid
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid is formulated with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic/hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives. It is specifically formulated to provide improved shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, excellent thermal and oxidation resistance, and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer, and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion
It is especially effective in applications where high temperatures are a concern. Due to its excellent thermal, oxidative, and shear stability, this fluid is required in manual transmission applications such as Mustang with G1 manual transmissions and F/E series with TR 3650 and ZF S5-47 manual transmissions
Formulated for powersteering systems to provide excellent low temperature fluidity as well as improved high temperature thermal stability for use in extreme conditions in all seasons
Do not use in applications where MERCON® LV, MERCON® SP, Continously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended

·
don't play well w others
3,740 Posts
They go on the truck, the bolt in the motormount sits in that hole. Us hillbilly's call that a pedestal

I use marcon 5 for my power steering fluid.
I use it in my zf transmissions too

421 - 439 of 439 Posts