Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1361 - 1380 of 1403 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,361 ·
I left the turbo alone, but I did get most of my exhaust done (except for the pipe to turbo, duh).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,362 ·
I also received the new under-hood light switch, and installed it and the new LED light. Progress, however small.

Off-topic -- when you guys learned to weld, did you have some days of "good job" and other days of "looks like it was welded by a first-grader!"? 🤬

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
when you guys learned to weld, did you have some days of "good job" and other days of "looks like it was welded by a first-grader!"?
Nah, I was good from the get go :LOL: :LOL:.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
When I start welding you can tell where I started and where I ended by the quality.

I hadn't welded in a few years when I started a project last year. For some reason the wirefeed wasn't working so I dragged out the stick welder. You could really tell that I was out of practice with it. I ended up cutting a few welds out and redoing them, they looked that bad.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,366 ·
Oh, yeah, I still suck with stick!

Plant Pumpkin Natural foods Winter squash Orange

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
556 Posts
I also received the new under-hood light switch, and installed it and the new LED light. Progress, however small.

Off-topic -- when you guys learned to weld, did you have some days of "good job" and other days of "looks like it was welded by a first-grader!"? 🤬
Yup! Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t!!

·
Administrator
10,929 Posts
been about three years since i fired up a welder. i bet the first start will look like a three year old did it.
first time i tried mig it looked like i never welded before, even though i had over 20 years experience with a stick welder.
my biggest problem with mig is setting wire speed. with stick i can control weld speed. with mig, you have to play with the machine to get weld speed rite.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,370 ·
I hadn't heard of them, but I looked them up.

I am 5'4". When I work on the turbo, my shins are on the grill. The topside creeper won't help. Thanks for the idea, though.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You need a big pillow or old couch cushion. With my back problems I couldn't stand or sit so I laid perpendicular to the truck on the grill hood latch area and pulled out my injector harness repaied it and tossed back in. At this time I could probably stand only about 1-2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,372 ·
You need a big pillow or old couch cushion. With my back problems I couldn't stand or sit so I laid perpendicular to the truck on the grill hood latch area and pulled out my injector harness repaired it and tossed back in. At this time I could probably stand only about 1-2 minutes.
Hmmm . . . . But I don't have an old couch. I wonder if a sleeping bag pad would do? I guess I should get back at it. Sigh. I am going to make a custom leverage piece out of wood so I can attempt to pry the Y in a clockwise direction.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
556 Posts
I’m trying to find the pictures of it. But my friends made a little platform out of plywood and 2x4s that rested on the radiator support and the front of the engine that made the injector cup job way more comfortable.

Also we had a mini scaffolding thing as well to rest feet and stand on.

Also a grille guard like mine makes life easier for me because I rest my knees on the top of it and then adjust everything from there to minimize the hood latch molesting me. But I’m 6’5 so the dynamics are drastically different for me.

·
Administrator
10,929 Posts
when i work in the engine bay/top of engine, i use a tire step.
similar to this:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

unfortunately that brand has not been made for close to 20 years or so.
they do have these though:

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,376 ·
That's a good Idea. I have some leftover plywood pieces that would work for that.

I am going to bite the bullet and hit it up again. I get to try my new forced air propane heater.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,380 ·
Well, I think I have a total of 6 hours into mounting that $%^&*( "Y".

It clicked in a couple of times, but when trying to get the T bolt through the clamp and get a nut on it, it dropped out. Three, maybe four times. I finally got the clamp on . . .. It looks right, and even, but I can only get about 1/2" threads out from the nut. I was thinking it was more than that.

Anyway, I tightened everything up. Made a blood sacrifice off my nose (daily requirement, that blood sacrifice). Have the exhaust hooked up (that anti-seize gets all over everything!).

Now, I have to clean parts. Silly me, should have been doing that while I was taking time off for my bruises to heal.

Any recommendations on what to use? The spider is filthy and oily, as are the intercooler pipes.

I've decided to put off the injectors and such until I am sure the exhaust and turbo are good. Mostly because I really need to clean the engine at the car wash!

1361 - 1380 of 1403 Posts