Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Reactions: Weatherlite

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
how much??
$25.

It was rather alarming. The guy leads me up to the truck and the whole axle assembly is gone!
But the bracket was there . . . . .

• Haha
Reactions: 1970something

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Trying to take off the fan nut -- the pully made my screwdriver bend. I need a Bigger BF screwdriver. Sigh.

·
Administrator
559 Posts
you just ain't trying hard enough kiddo.
i mean really, 4 messicans can strip a truck down to the frame in 45 minutes with nothing more than an adjustible wrench, a pair of vice grips, a pair of channel locks, a 6 way screwdriver, and a can of WD-40. :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
I may have a line on one! There is a 2004 4x4 F350 that a yard just got! Tucson!

They still fit from that year, right? How would I know?

This thing is killing me. Where do I find that ratchet strap?
i mean just a 1.5” wide ratcheting load strap. I just looped it around the belt to hold extra pressure.

Make sure you are trying to spin the nut the same direction that the fan blades go. That was what got me for a while on mine.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Leveled, 5” exhaust, ww38, 6637,
224 Posts
The nut is standard direction thread if it’s like any other SD 7.3 I’ve ever worked on.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 · (Edited)
Yes, the nut is standard direction (right-handed) threads.

I finally got a chain ratchet to hold the pulley still. The nut broke loose nicely. Of course, it may have had something to do with the blood sacrifice when I was putting the chain ratchet on the pulley.

The track bar was a #%^&* $%^&( %^&( . . . It was, as feared, off by about an 8th of an inch. I used a 2" ratchet strap, a 3' pry bar, an 18" pry bar, jacked up the frame (oops, nope, wrong way) jacked up the axle (brought it to 1/16 of an inch), an adjustable wrench (trying to get the threads to catch to walk it in) and just when I was about to call for reinforcement, the bitter itch screw caught and walked through. Damn.

Now, do I HAVE to replace the "neck" on the water pump? I'm about ready to crack all my teeth trying to get that lower radiator hose loose. 🤬

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 · (Edited)
Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Water pump done. No leaks.

My hydraulic crimping tool doesn't go wide enough to crimp the 4/0 lug. Dang it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
THIS is what I use when I have one or two crimps to do. does the job and goes all the way up to 4/0. Only downside is the smallest is 1/0. Well, that and it's a hand tool. It doesn't need a lot of oomph, but doing a bunch isn't fun. It's a good tool, inexpensive, and according to Amazon I can get it here tomorrow, so you might be able to get it quickly as well.

White Blue Electric blue Fashion accessory Bicycle part

I'm betting you probably have the same hydraulic crimpers most do, with the interchangable crimp lugs/dies which go up to 70. Yeah, those are supposed to only crimp up to 2/0, but guess what? In a pinch they can do 4/0. I've done ten 4/0 crimps with that 70 die and they're all secure, strong, and still in use.Just don't expect to be able to put those dies together like you normally would when crimping.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Regarding your battery terminals, here's an option you may not have thought of. I use THESE aluminum terminals and love em! It has cleaned up my wiring, makes doing any changes easier because I don't have to pull everything off, and the fact it's aluminum means it conducts better so my starter actually gained a few RPM. Seriously. That and you can just tell by listening to it that it's no longer struggling because it's getting the amperage it wants. Oh, and they make 5 lug and 9 lug versions as well.

Font Engineering Circle Nickel Metal

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Well, my AC guy had a crimper that would fix the lug, so that's done!👍

However, this made me want to cry.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Insect Yellow

Who the blank puts an orifice tube in backwards? 🤬

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
And I need all four f'g ball joints. 🤬

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I thought you fired your mechanic a while back? Or was the prior mechanic that put the tube in backwards? ;) :D At least you're making progress.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
I thought you fired your mechanic a while back? Or was the prior mechanic that put the tube in backwards? ;) :D At least you're making progress.
Fortunately, this one isn't at my door. I had the system recharged but we didn't open it. Then, I saw it was freezing, so . . . So far, so good.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 · (Edited)
Hey, does anyone make a better ball joint?

Or are they all pretty much the same?

Going to list what I find:
$330 Super Duty F250 F350 4×4 Complete Ball Joint Kit 1999 2004 - FordPartsOne.com

Summit offers Moog. No kit.

Forget it. I can save almost $100 by ordering the same items from Amazon as are in the FordPartsOne offer. Plus - they show $25 shipping, but as soon as I add my state, it jumps to almost $50!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
I read about everything I have to do on the ball joints . . . I might as well change the axle oil and axle bearings, too, right?

And install the front brakes I have . . . . Ouch. This is some work.

Reactions: jgj329
461 - 480 of 530 Posts