Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's said a picture paints a thousand words, so I hope I can explain this issue logically.

It seems to have not-enough hanger clamps - I have one isolation mount without anything to mount to it.

The one hanger clamp I have is too short. If I insert the hanger all the way into the isolation mount, it would lift the pipe so the pipe would hit against the bolts holding the heat shield. If you also look forward where the pipe goes over the transmission mount, the hanger welded to it will allow it to rub on a mounting bolt. Right now, there is a piece of wood holding it off the bolt.

The pink paracord is holding it up where I believe it should hang.

Hear s the view looking back on the same hanger.

In this picture ^^^^ you can see the bolt against which the exhaust would rub if the hanger were inserted completely into the isolation mount.

The original had a band that went around the muffler. I have nothing to hang on this isolation mount:

Lastly, with the rear piece hanging properly, the over-the-axle part will rub against the shock.

None of this is clamped into place - the parts are simply hung and clamps are not tight.

Does anyone have one of these installed that could help me with pictures or whatever this problem is?

I am very unhappy -- Jamo doesn't answer their phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jamo answer my email I wrote on their site. They wanted pictures. I directed them to this thread. Sigh. :cautious:

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
I will say, in my experience from the dozens upon dozens of 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 exhausts I have installed over the past few years, you can't always use all the hanger clamps, and thats alright. If you can use the muffler hanger clamp then you dont really need the one in the 2nd picture. It would fit much nicer if you had an engine and turbo to bolt the downpipe to, trust me. Having the downpipe on and at least partially tightened provides a ton of support and helps clock the exhaust the right way. Hope this helps you.

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
It appears you have the clamps upside down. Try running the nuts on the top side. You will have to unbolt them. Rotate it 180* and then spin it 180* and see how it lines up.

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
Like said above you need to have it hooked up to the motor and have the spare under the truck.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say, in my experience from the dozens upon dozens of 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 exhausts I have installed over the past few years, you can't always use all the hanger clamps, and thats alright. If you can use the muffler hanger clamp then you dont really need the one in the 2nd picture. It would fit much nicer if you had an engine and turbo to bolt the downpipe to, trust me. Having the downpipe on and at least partially tightened provides a ton of support and helps clock the exhaust the right way. Hope this helps you.
Thanks, CJ - there is no muffler clamp, btw.

Also, I just removed the stock one, so I have reference for where it hung. All the hangers on the stock are over an inch longer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears you have the clamps upside down. Try running the nuts on the top side. You will have to unbolt them. Rotate it 180* and then spin it 180* and see how it lines up.
Thanks, Sbluke - I tried it that way at first but it was worse. I will do so again.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They included an extra pipe for the bed length . . . but no clamp! Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is another pic -- I oriented this clamp this way because the form of the hanger is the same as the saddle clamp and the welded-on hangers. The clamp is 1.5" below the mounting hole. Turning the clamp so the nuts are up makes the fit even more wonky, and the hanger won't stay in the isolation mount hole.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
That kit is meant to be a universal kit, so it will include hardware and pieces needed for any configuration up to a 4 door long bed truck, so in your case the extra pipe is normal.

·
Administrator
8,239 Posts
You know it's kind of hard to do without the motor but, it looks like the whole exhaust needs to move up. It looks like its hanging too low. From the pic with the muffler hanger its loose and hanging too low also.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rest of the pipe is hanging just were it ought to hang. The muffler is hanging from a clamp in the saddle brackets - it cannot be raised or lowered. The over-the-axle seems to be where it ought. That one clamp, forward of the muffler, seems to be too short for that location.

And since y'll insisted, the spare is mounted.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the saddle clamp. The muffler hangs exactly where it ought.

Notice the ends are slanted down so they stay put. That is why I oriented the trouble clamp the way I did.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the exhaust level and as it should be, according to the factory exhaust I uninstalled. The clamp is hanging the orientation as do the others - with the tip down and the part next to the stop parallel. BUT it is an inch and a half too short.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
I wouldn't stress about it too much right now. If its anything like the ones I've done, it should sit much better with it bolted to the engine. Take it with a grain of salt, since I can only help so much without being there in person. At the very least you can more accurately gauge what needs to do what when the engine is hooked up to it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found the picture of the original exhaust! The exhaust bottom is just a little lower than the drive shaft. The hanger goes quite a bit higher than the one on the Jamo clamp.

The Jamo . . . . I have sent this thread's URL to JAMO so I post all this for their edification.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
I guess if all else fails, you could cut and weld the old one on if you're handy with a welder.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would bolt in a second hanger. I still think I have the wrong one. Why would they have it ride against the bolt ends above the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got a nice, thoughtful, email from Jamo. They offered to send two clamps.

I asked them to send pictures, first -- why waste the money? Good on you, last sender of Jamo email! (y)

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
Very nice that they responded. Had too many situations where sellers or manufacturers essentially told me (or others around me) to pound sand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts