Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's pulling to the right - bad under braking.

So here it is. Fresh alignment, new tires. Ball joints, tie rods, tack bar - all good. New front hubs/bearings. New rotors, new loaded caliper assemblies, new hoses - hell, seems like everything is new.

Running down the road the truck runs straight as a arrow. When the brakes are cold, the truck brakes, and stops great and straight.

Now, put 10 - 20 miles on it and things get warmed up and hit the brake and it pretty much hauls you hard to the right. Definitely front end. If your grip on wheel is not tight and with hard brake, it could rip the wheel out of your hand. Sucks. Has been ongoing for awhile now.

Removed the calipers assemblies and hoses, and put two new loaded assemblies and hoses on again. Cold, great, hot, still pulls bad to right. All new slide pins, greased, etc come on the assemblies. Chances of getting two new caliper assemblies that are bad and installing both on left side - slim.

Ok. Is there somewhere in the brake system that I could be getting a pressure differential? No ABS light or scanned and no ABS codes. Is it possible in the proportioning valve that I can get a left/right pressure variation?

I read a bunch of TSBs on brakes. Only one that struck me was the weak spring causing a pull?? I have no idea how you would check for that??

Thoughts - suggestions??

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Swap the pads to the other side and see if it changes.

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
Caliper slide pin could be sticking. Did u lube it before puttin it back in?

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I'd check calipers, if it's pulling to the right it's probley your drivers side caliper. I had one go bad on me after only 5 months, they took em back under lifetime warrenty so I'm back on the road again! :D

·
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd check calipers, if it's pulling to the right it's probley your drivers side caliper. I had one go bad on me after only 5 months, they took em back under lifetime warrenty so I'm back on the road again! :D
Yep, like I said. Two pairs (that's 4 total), new, complete loaded, caliper assemblies (calipers, frame, pins, grease, boots, pads, clips, etc). Made no difference. With new hoses with the first pair, and another set of new hoses with the second pair of assemblies.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Hmmmmm you seemed to have covered all grounds here so I'm not sure what to tell ya....:shrug:
I'd like to hear what it is when you get it figgured out.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'd like to hear this one to, Mine pulled to the left once. That was the calliper though, replaced it and it was as good as new!

·
<<<<< Next Generation
1,994 Posts
Try swapping rotors.
You mean weak leaf spring??? The only way I can think of to check for that is have JoeD run along side the truck and he can see if the spring is flexin too much when braking:D

How does the peddle feel? could still be alittle air in the system.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bad master/ perportaning valve. Just for laughs check you rears I have done a few cars that would pull hard and it was the rears.

·
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try swapping rotors.
You mean weak leaf spring??? The only way I can think of to check for that is have JoeD run along side the truck and he can see if the spring is flexin too much when braking:D

How does the peddle feel? could still be alittle air in the system.
Rotors are also new.
JoeD couldn't keep up!! LOL
Pedal is good. Bleed was fine. Now I'm going to concentrate on the rears. I've been told that rears can also cause a heavy pull on steering wheel (??) so I will check. I have IR thermo and am going to drive until wheels a hot and take a temp reading on rotors to see which one is really getting hot, and what is not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
One Peterbilt we had did this. It would take the steering wheel out of your hands when on the brakes. Resulting in broken tie rods. Never found the problem. But I don't think that is your problem. :shrug:

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
One Peterbilt we had did this. It would take the steering wheel out of your hands when on the brakes. Resulting in broken tie rods. Never found the problem. But I don't think that is your problem. :shrug:
HAHAA I just fixed this on my KW put new brakes(shoes and spring kits) on the front took care of it.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Good luck! :D

·
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rotors are also new.
JoeD couldn't keep up!! LOL
Pedal is good. Bleed was fine. Now I'm going to concentrate on the rears. I've been told that rears can also cause a heavy pull on steering wheel (??) so I will check. I have IR thermo and am going to drive until wheels a hot and take a temp reading on rotors to see which one is really getting hot, and what is not.
Ok, let me re-phrase - the rotors were new with the first set of calipers - 2-3K miles ago. And, it has been pulling ever since that brake job. I wonder if somehow a rotor could cause this. Only thing in the front that has not been replaced yet.

I did put the IR on it when I got home from work, just for a quick check. I'll take it out tomorrow and do 30 miles without braking and coast to the ride side, and do a thermo scan on them.
Tonight after ride home with braking (ambient 28*), I got 52* caliper and 100* rotor on LR. 53* and 101* on RR. On front, I just shot calipers - LF 42*, RF 63*. This would make sense since the right front seems to be doing all the braking and the left front is - well - don't know what it is doing???

Anyone know if it is possible for the ABS to fail or shut down without giving you the light or codes? Only code I currently have is VSS - I'm assuming it is the rear VSS that needs replacing.

·
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does your truck have 4wheel ABS? If so check your wheel sensors in the front
Yes. 4 wheel ABS. Both front sensors were new with the hub replacements. Both bearing hubs replaced within the past 6K miles or so. I know that when the sensors go out, the ABS light comes on. A while back I had a loose sensor plug, on the end of the cable, that I had to wiggle back in and the light went out.

·
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybee the left side isnt braking, which is causing it to pull to the right. check the left to make sure it is working properly.
Yep, you are correct. But, the question is why the left front is not working properly. Only thing that I (we) can think of is it is getting higher pressure on the right than the left. So, how can that happen? No ABS faults. It's got me by the short hairs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts