Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a f350 standard cab automatic dual rear wheel 4x4. It has 107,000 on it. First off it smokes like a banshee. Put in a new fuel filter still smokes. The key switch dosent shut the truck off, have to pull a fuse and disconnect batteries, brand new key tumbler assembly, didnt fix it. It has lots of power just working out the bugs. Thanks guys

·
7,981 Posts
welcome to PSN.
for the no shut off, it sounds like the ignition actuator is broke. it is a plastic piece in the column that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch.
as far as the smoking goes, what color is the smoke?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
If the actuator rod was broken I doubt that he would be able to start it with the key.

But it does sound like the actual ignition switch that the rod attaches to under the dash.

As for the smoke, how is the air filter?

·
7,981 Posts
99.9 percent of the time when the actuator breaks, it will break in a no start condition.
but i have also seen 5 that broke in a start but not shut off condition.

does the smoke smell like oil, or fuel?
if fuel, i would say an injector stuck open.

·
7,981 Posts
ok, fuel smell i am thinking you have a bad injector.

the actuator is in the column, between the key cylinder and ignition switch.

pull the switch off the column and try activating it both start and stop. if the engine starts and shuts off, the problem is between the key and switch, pretty much pointing a to a broken actuator.

here is a detailed writeup on replacing the actuator:
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/181708-steering-column-teardown-ignition-actuator-replacement-1995-92-columns.html
only thing i do different is i do not take the column out of the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts