Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up my egr delete and oil cooler replacement today, got everything back together and noticed 1 open barb fitting on the passenger side of the intake manifold, it's a smaller barb fitting behind the one that goes to the coolant bottle. Anyone have any ideas? Also, without that connected, I purged the fuel system and attempted to start the truck, it half turned over 3 times but just won't start, I have fuel to the upper fuel filter. Any ideas on this. Thanks in advance, working off my phone, don't have the patience to try to search for this.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
The first one is the map sensor. It goes over onto your ac condenser box.

The second problem you need to turn the key over and let it cycle 5 times until it shuts the pump off. Then crank. CrNk for 15 seconds, wait one minute. Crank again.... repeat five times. If truck still has not started report beck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I got it running, I was doing what you said, just a little frustrated because it seemed like it should have started. Took it for a test drive, and it's still blowing smoke out of the tail pipe. And I have very little boost, and when it's running, it sounds different, like something with the turbo is leaking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Give it about a week to clear out the left over coolant i blew smoke for about 3 days but not poor out just puffs here and there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was kind of thinking that, it's been sitting since the beginning our oct and had a ton of fluid in it when I your it apart, just seems like a lot more then what I was expecting

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
Ok, I got it running, I was doing what you said, just a little frustrated because it seemed like it should have started. Took it for a test drive, and it's still blowing smoke out of the tail pipe. And I have very little boost, and when it's running, it sounds different, like something with the turbo is leaking.
You probably didn't get the up-pipes aligned correctly with the turbo.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Load up your highest tune.

Have someone floor it while you're watching for soot behind the turbo and where the uppipes attach at the manifolds.

If it's not leaking there, you have a boost leak, a VGT issue or Vane issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can feel sure blowing out, feels like the clamp connection from the y-pipe, going to pull it apart and check it out

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Just take the v band off and loosen the bolts on the bottom. Once that is done get the v band clamp on right and then tighten the bottom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What coolant do you recommend? A local international dealer has red coolant that they sell and use, they said they actually get it from peterbilt, it's 50/50 pure mix for around 11/gal, purge people say you can get xerex from napa, but I see other posts that xerex is bad coolant

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Depends. I don't own a 6.0 so I just put the coolant in that the customer wants. I usually recommend OEM or the Cat ELC if I'm asked... Either way I do support a coolant filter.

Best bet is to search coolant in the 6.0 section. There is a lot of discussion on that one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, got the turbo problem straightened out, the smoke/stream seems to have cleared up, my local international dealer has some peterbilt coolant that they use and sell, my local pepboys has peak full strength that specifies that out contains no silicates, anyone have any experience with it? Can't find any coolant that has any cat specs on it, this says it meets ford standards, thoughts/input?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so I got everything back together and the truck is running, I couldn't find cat elc coolant, so I bought some stuff that is low silicates from a local truck parts. I did a bunch of flushes, and got clean water out, I went to my friends shop to vacuum full my system and we were only able to get out about 3.5 gallons of water. I decided to only add coolant since I think that the system was mostly water, I have test steps and soul check it periodically and drain some and add water if needed to achieve a 50/50 mix. Has anyone else had issues with getting all the liquid out? How do you get it all out otherwise?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts