Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 06 6.0, blowing white smoke out exhaust, dealer says egr is shot, my truck is at my work, i live 35 miles away, if i keep it full of water will i do more damage by driving it 35 miles to home? or should i get it towed?

·
Registered
368 Posts
if its not real bad leave the coolant cap loose,it wont pressurize the cooling system and push coolant in.i would drive it but with that said,its your truck your risk.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
you can drive it....right to the point that it quits on you. Dont risk it, have it towed, these trucks cost soo much to fix, why compound your troubles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah i had an '04 that did the same thing, only major difference was it was -40c up in Northern AB, i drove it for 2000 km's or so, only because i had to, (way way way up in the bush) I left it run 24 hrs/day on high idle and it was ok, but i would have never done that if i didn't have to, by the time i got it to the dealer and shut it off i hade went thru 3 cases of anti-freeze. I shut it off and overnight it hydrolocked bad on the dealer pretty bad lol, but it still ran for another 40,000 km's after that.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
If you have to drive it make sure you always unscrew the degas cap immediately after shutting the truck down and you should avoid hydrolocking the motor. I actually drove mine for a couple of days after the first time it hydrolocked, made sure to never push the truck beyond 2k rpm or over 5psi of boost, and always unscrewed the cap. As long as the cap was unscrewed and vented the truck wouldn't lock up, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it unless its emergency.

Water does not compress so if its leaking and manages to get sucked into the cylinders then it could cause major trouble, even as bad as a bent rod, minimum blown head gaskets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts