Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
He does a lot of custom turbos. Im pretty sure he builds them himself.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes Sr He will be getting a call tomorrow. Just thought to ask the forum. Questions are free and Im still trying to learn this stupid addiction.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If you sell it and be honest, go for it. If you sell it as a good working turbo with no known issues, I would have a real problem with that.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Carson is a dealer for swamps...

Unless he's makin the sledgehammer for swamps now.
Swamps doesn't "build" the sledge hammer, River City Turbo (no relation to River City Diesel) out of Arkansas builds them. Swamps is just a dealer & sells them. At the same time Unlimited Diesel, Carson, & many others also deal with River City Turbo & distribute them.
From my research the "Sledgehammer" is an S300 that is machined to fit a 76mm wheel. The problem is that the normal S300 is 60 something mm. Now picture a large wheel with a small shaft. I want to say rebuild kits are more expensive that normal because it's a one off charger & in the $400-$600 range. Don't hold me to that statement though.

i just had my turbo rebuilt on my 95 and it cost me 700.00 dollars. it was well worth because it runs well now
If you paid $700 for someone to rebuild a stock 95 turbo, you got ripped off big time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
And how many miles were on it when it needed rebuilt? I bet it was alot more than the 6k miles that I have on mine, now I need a rebuild kit..mmmm

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Swamps doesn't "build" the sledge hammer, River City Turbo (no relation to River City Diesel) out of Arkansas builds them. Swamps is just a dealer & sells them. At the same time Unlimited Diesel, Carson, & many others also deal with River City Turbo & distribute them.
From my research the "Sledgehammer" is an S300 that is machined to fit a 76mm wheel. The problem is that the normal S300 is 60 something mm. Now picture a large wheel with a small shaft. I want to say rebuild kits are more expensive that normal because it's a one off charger & in the $400-$600 range. Don't hold me to that statement though.

If you paid $700 for someone to rebuild a stock 95 turbo, you got ripped off big time.
Didn't know they were river city turbo's.

But dodge guys don't call S300's hand grenades for no reason.

FWIW though, I really have no idea if it's a good match with a 7.3 or not. Just that they're not known for being tough turbo's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
whats a good price for a turbo to be rebuilt i did not know about this site when i had it done or i would of asked. i need a driver side ball joint and i not sure where to go for that do you know about what you should pay for that

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
whats a good price for a turbo to be rebuilt i did not know about this site when i had it done or i would of asked. i need a driver side ball joint and i not sure where to go for that do you know about what you should pay for that
If it needed a basic rebuild your talking $100-$150 for the rebuild kit & about 1-2 hours in labor. Labor running $50-$100 an hour should be under $300. Now if both housings & wheels were chewed up I can see it costing more. But at the same time there are hundreds of good used stock turbos out there that would cost under $300.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Ball joints aren't fun no matter where you go, they run around $125-$300 for all 4 depending on the make of the joint. Labor for those gets pricey quick, front end work is never fun.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts