Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering what is the normal indication to see after my truck has had its block heater plugged in over night?

I know its working, thats not my question, my question is about the gauges. When i get in, in the morning, and start the truck, my transmission temp gauge is up off of the bottom mark, but i dont think that the coolant temp gauge moves. is this normal to see? its on a 2007.

·
Diffrent Strokes
350 Posts
On mine, the coolant temp will move up to just under the 1st line ( 1/4 mark) when I turn the key on with engine off. But soon as I start it and the coolant from the block mixes with the cold radiator it drops down. My trans temp dont move for a while.

·
Still learning
368 Posts
On mine with it plugged in overnight coolant only gets to 112f and oil 98f.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Was it in a garage or out in the weather? With mine in a garage and parked overnight the coolant comes up just a little and the trans a little more, much like yours.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it in a garage or out in the weather? With mine in a garage and parked overnight the coolant comes up just a little and the trans a little more, much like yours.
Its outside. I wish i could fit it into the garage, but its too tall, and too long.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
It's the calibration of the trans temp gauge. It is calibrated to be right in the middle of normal at 50F. The engine temp has to be quite a bit hotter than that to get into the normal range.

I

·
0 Posts
great answer~makes complete sense now, Now if I could only get the smooth cold starts.
thanks
My 03 with 160K on it starts like a champ at 10F not plugged in with Motorcraft HD 10W30, 20oz of Motorcraft cetane, and 20oz of Power Service (white bottle)..

·
Registered
160 Posts
My insight reads the coolant and oil around 100-110, the block heater achieves these temps in about three hours. I put a timer on the outlet I use in my garage and set it to come on three hours before I wake up in the morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts