Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 7.3 that had the Trans replaced in 2004 (previous owner/Oasis report)

It acts as if I am driving a High stall drag car on the street...

If apply gass, and it sort of winds up and then eventualy gets going. Shifts fine, and then the converter locks up in third, and I can MASH IT!

As soon as the converter locks up, the RPMs math the speed of the Truck. Feels GOOD!

But this Drag Car, High RPM going nowhere crp is getting old.

Is this the Torque Converter Not holding any longer? Or is this a trans issue?

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
I think it is more likely a trans and not the converter. What does your fluid look like? Drop the pan and see what you have.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I think it's the torque converter. I think the stator has failed and you've lost the torque multiplication.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any way to test for the failed STator?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
A quick stall test will do that. Do this EXACTLY like I write it or you're GUARANTEED to have a failed torque converter even if you didn't have one before.

With the truck fully warmed up and in drive press the brake pedal as hard as you can. Push the go pedal all the way to the floor, BUT FOR NO MORE THAN 5 SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the RPM. If the stator is failed it will be less than 2000 RPM.

·
02 CCSB
118 Posts
Whenever I have done a stall test I have always done in in manual first gear- more line pressure for clutch application.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roger that guys...

YIKES!

This sounds like a parts brakeapalooza, but I will give it a try and report back...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hope it goes well but as far as breaking parts it should be fine that is pretty much the only way to check your stator.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright...

I set the park brake, stood on the brake pedel and mashed the fuel..

RPM Shot up to about 2500 and I stopped after that, It looked like it would have continued climbing had I stayed in it. I was on it for about 2.5 to 3 seconds...

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
That looks like a problem in the trans, not the torque converter. What does the fluid look like?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I noticed on my older gas truck with a C6 it did the same thing and it was the torque converter it kept geting worse and worse too. It would rev up and act as is i dumped the clutch when it finally went then after i got goin it would shift fine and all untill i stopped again. On a side note if its the tranny you should feel it shudder when it slips.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No shudder at all!! It shifts nice and crips except for a little overlap in the one two shift.

I had the fluid changed at the dealership about 15,000 miles ago. Was doing it back before the change also. They did not mention that the fluid looked bad.

On a side note, If I putt the truck in a tune it acts more like it should.

Is it possible that the pressure is low in the trans? and when I run the tunes, it bumps it up and makes it work better?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts