Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck in the sig gets 19-19.5 at 2k rpm or 70 mph ish. I have a friend who claims his 02 d-max gets 22 mpg on the highway. Both are cc sb and fwd. He runs some sort of edge product. My current numbers were with my old DP chip. My truck sits higher. He has a tonneau cover and I have a cab with a slight bump. My numbers are with the stock 265s and he had 245s. I wonder if it is just that his truck looks way less stout.

·
Registered
342 Posts
D-max is more efficient engine design and is smaller displacement, truck is lower and lighter, and he may have a final drive ratio advantage but I have not looked it up, but I doubt his effective gear ratio is the same as yours.

·
Team Truckless Beer Man!
275 Posts
My truck in the sig gets 19-19.5 at 2k rpm or 70 mph ish. I have a friend who claims his 02 d-max gets 22 mpg on the highway. Both are cc sb and fwd. He runs some sort of edge product. My current numbers were with my old DP chip. My truck sits higher. He has a tonneau cover and I have a cab with a slight bump. My numbers are with the stock 265s and he had 245s. I wonder if it is just that his truck looks way less stout.
The most I have ever got is 17-18 mpg highway on my 02 Dmax CC SB. I also have had an edge box in it and only noticed maybe 1mpg better if that! Now if yours buddys truck was an 06 or newer 22mpg would probally be belivable.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Now if yours buddys truck was an 06 or newer 22mpg would probally be belivable.
The opposite is true.

The 01-04.5 Federal emissions trucks with the LB7 are by far the most efficient duramax trucks. Less power, no EGR, wastegated turbocharger, and lower fuel rates (less aggressive fueling) help here.

tch. 280 said:
truck is lower and lighter
That is another advantage the El Camino has over the Ford.

tch. 280 said:
and he may have a final drive ratio advantage but I have not looked it up, but I doubt his effective gear ratio is the same as yours.
If he has an Allison, the gear splits are far more mileage-friendly than the 4R100 but you have a 6 speed so the OD ratio is the same, but you're making a lot more on-off transitions with the foot-feed. The overdrive ratio is the same and my bet is that both trucks have 3.73 gearing.

·
Team Truckless Beer Man!
275 Posts
The opposite is true.

The 01-04.5 Federal emissions trucks with the LB7 are by far the most efficient duramax trucks. Less power, no EGR, wastegated turbocharger, and lower fuel rates (less aggressive fueling) help here.

Id have to disagree on that one with you. One of my trucks is a dmax and we get about 19-20 out of it with no problem . Its all highway miles but might as well be city. lots of stop a go full throttle take offs mergin into traffic on the highway. with that 6speed auto crusin 70 and 1700rpms helps a lot. Oh and that truck has 270,000 on it with no problems yet! just regular maintance. So I would say 22 is deffinatley possible with regular driving.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Are you sure he is hand calculating or is he using the lie-o-meter in the dash? My father in laws 04 Dmax shows he is getting 28.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Don't the newer d-maxes have lower static compression? That would affect fuel economy if so.

Yes they do. The older engines had 17.5:1 while the new ones are at 16.5:1. It's hard to believe that they start as good as they do at -20 degrees.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Shouldn't CR injection have already come up in this thread? Maybe followed up by 4v heads?

·
Team Truckless Beer Man!
275 Posts
Are you sure he is hand calculating or is he using the lie-o-meter in the dash? My father in laws 04 Dmax shows he is getting 28.
Yeah those in dash Lie - o -meter's! LOL dont really work that well. My buddies dodge says hes getting 30-35 sometimes haha what a joke!

·
1,097 Posts
Endless discussions of claims that are either:

1. Outright lies or
2. Claims made over very short tests using jack-leg test methods executed sloppily.

Decide for yourself.

·
brandon
778 Posts
:whs: Dave would know!:D

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Yeah those in dash Lie - o -meter's! LOL dont really work that well. My buddies dodge says hes getting 30-35 sometimes haha what a joke!
Sometimes you are getting 30 to 35 or even 130 to 135mpg.

Like when you're coasting down a hill traveling 70mph with your foot completely off the pedal. In that case you're getting infinite mpg.

If some DA resets the mileage computer going down a hill and actually thinks the computer is wrong because it displays 80mpg..... they need to think about things a bit harder before they speak.

·
Team Truckless Beer Man!
275 Posts
Like when you're coasting down a hill traveling 70mph with your foot completely off the pedal. In that case you're getting infinite mpg.

If some DA resets the mileage computer going down a hill and actually thinks the computer is wrong because it displays 80mpg..... they need to think about things a bit harder before they speak.[/QUOTE]

AGREED! LOL

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
not to mess you guys up... but im kinda curious..
from the sheets by my college to the truck stop the next town over... is 650.4 miles. one time i did it, the average temp was under 50 degrees, my normal highway speed was 55-60 mph... took a few hours longer then my normal driving time. BUT i got 24.5 mpg. only mod's done... 10K, hollowed out muffler, in bed tool box. Fuel.. Low sulfur, maybe ULSD, with some 2 stroke

thats hand calculated.. i filled the tank up to where the fuel pushed out a little when i put the cap on... then did it again back home.. forget the exact numbers but i did it a few times over on my calculator and cryed with joy! lol.

the average millage @ 65-75 mph is between 19.8-21.4

im a slowass driver most of the time, so it's normally decent. do tuners really help? even 1 mpg.. kinda adds up after 600 miles.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But going back to the truck, I wonder how much of an effect is being lower, smaller tire size and lighter.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
But going back to the truck, I wonder how much of an effect is being lower, smaller tire size and lighter.
That's a HUGE part in it. Less frontal area (and angled back at the front corners), a smoother bottom (skid plates), car-like windshield angle, and far less weight make for better efficiency.

However, I (like some folks) bought a TRUCK to do work. I don't care about reduced efficiency due to a huge front differential pushing air while driving down the highway.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
The Chevys weigh at least 1000#'s less than the fords and those super dinky little wheels and tires make quite a bit of difference as well.

Lower to the ground, no solid axle stopping the wind (on the 4x4s), it all adds up.

Not to mention more precise injector control combined w/ more tranny gears.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts