Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know to much about them . But i had an opportunity to puck up a 2001 7.3 f250 lariat with one owner and 111k for $ 10,000 so i did.
it came from up in Northern California. So has rust issue. What all should be done on them at this point? I just replaced the water pump. And all steering componets from steering box to stablizer .Checked the diff and found some chunks in the oil. ? Any pointers will be appreciated. Im was a sniper as a profession. So put in simple terms . Maybe with a few crayons to eat to! Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
there's probably a lot (potentially) to look at. How it starts - when cold, when warm. Is there something in particular you're wanting information on ? I have a 94.5 - early production run 7.3 with almost 300K on it, and I love that truck. Single owner. Re-doing my front axle u-joints, then the injectors. Lots of other small things, work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starts easy both times . I dont know what they are worth but it seems i made a good choice. I started hearing a clanging sound up front today. Sounds like. Gears wanting to engage but couldnt. So i stopped locked the hubs put it 4 low then 4hiigh and unlicked hubs snd it went away. Looked behibd tge tires and noticed a little ring loose behind where axle goes into the wheel where that u joint is . Not sure if thats normal . Im guessing not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sold my 01 7.3 after putting on 450,000 miles and still running great. Never touched the motor other than a fan clutch and a sensor, even the alternator was original. Replaced the unit bearings twice an rear wheel bearings twice. The majority of the miles were pulling usually around 12,000 pounds. The weakest point is the trans and also put in two of those. If yours is original it's time is limited. Those rings you see loose are just the axle tube dust seals. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on being in deep mud or something. They seem to last about a hundred miles 👍🏻

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man ! I want to replace the trans but with a better one . Any recommendations

·
Administrator
9,168 Posts
Only thing "better" would be the 6 speed manual.
The current auto trans in it will last damn near forever if taken care of.
We had 13 7.3 superduties and all had over 750,000 miles on them when the company was closed.
And they all were original except for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had 13 7.3 superduties and all had over 750,000 miles on them when the company was closed.
[/QUOTE
You had better luck than anyone I've ever talked. Sprag failure in the 4R100 is pretty common especially with heavy loads.

·
Administrator
9,168 Posts
all our trucks got oil service at 5,000 miles, and trans service at 30,000 miles.
we had a bunch of 6.0 trucks with over 500,000 miles on them too. all original except for service items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok mine is lifted does that make a difference? Alot of people say these trucks Achilles' heel is the transmission

·
Administrator
9,168 Posts
lift has nothing to do with engine or trans. the engine and trans do not care if the truck is 10 feet off the ground or 1 inch off the ground as long as the oil pans do not hit and leak the fluids out.
the size of the lift will effect front end parts, and driveshaft universals if not properly aligned..
my 88 F-SuperDuty 4X4 conversion has 495,000 miles on it. the 4 inch lift was put in when the 4X4 conversion was done at 400 miles and i have not had any issues due to the lift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lift has nothing to do with engine or trans. the engine and trans do not care if the truck is 10 feet off the ground or 1 inch off the ground as long as the oil pans do not hit and leak the fluids out.
the size of the lift will effect front end parts, and driveshaft universals if not properly aligned..
my 88 F-SuperDuty 4X4 conversion has 495,000 miles on it. the 4 inch lift was put in when the 4X4 conversion was done at 400 miles and i have not had any issues due to the lift.
Thats good to here. All i know is seems like my truck is struggling to stay moving. And slot of vibration in the front end. Also my temp sensor stopped working ? Is there anybody around the Temecula area ? I need a legit ass mech ! Im to the point im ready to replace my entire axle hub to hub in the entire thing

·
Registered
2 Posts
So front end problem. Vibration and noise. Metal to metal sounds. Engaging 4wd cycling through (high/low) then disengaging 4wd cleared it temporarily (at least). Original post said diff had chunks in the oil - guessing metal chunks ?

You need to isolate where the sounds are coming from. Have you had the front differential cover completely off ? Tell us more about those 'chunks'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So front end problem. Vibration and noise. Metal to metal sounds. Engaging 4wd cycling through (high/low) then disengaging 4wd cleared it temporarily (at least). Original post said diff had chunks in the oil - guessing metal chunks ?

You need to isolate where the sounds are coming from. Have you had the front differential cover completely off ? Tell us more about those 'chunks'.
Yes metal chunks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes metal chunks
I am looking for a new front axle complete from hub to hub . Screw replacing a part here and one there! All at these n one shot!
Yes metal chunks
its a dana 60 2001 f250 lariat . 05/01 kalatoa need the complete new front axle . Also a new transmission. With upgraded torch converter. Then whatever else i need to make this thing wake up just a little! But keep the gas milage upthere

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sold my 01 7.3 after putting on 450,000 miles and still running great. Never touched the motor other than a fan clutch and a sensor, even the alternator was original. Replaced the unit bearings twice an rear wheel bearings twice. The majority of the miles were pulling usually around 12,000 pounds. The weakest point is the trans and also put in two of those. If yours is original it's time is limited. Those rings you see loose are just the axle tube dust seals. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on being in deep mud or something. They seem to last about a hundred miles 👍🏻
Ok so i ask if these trucks are all that because mine seems to zero reponse to the gas pedal. I have to slam it to the floor to get it to go! Wife says when i drive away is seems like im bogged down. Engine screaming or staining or over working

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bottom line is i want to fix or replace whatever it needs. I like the truck. But its almost embarrassing loud. And family dont like to ride in it due to rough ride. Biggest concern is how bad id sounds and lack of performance! What do i do or where to take it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts